2014

2014

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Help?????

Hello there. So I thought of an interesting survey that should be done - maybe my statistician sista can do it. I was just thinking about the occurence rate of a 2nd or later PLANNED pregnancy during the time the 1st child (or 2nd, 3rd, etc.) is TWO???? Does that make sense? Basically, does the rate of pregnancy totally drop during the so-called TERRIBLE TWOS????? Ummmmm, today I would venture to say YES! I mean, when I got pregnant with Jonas, Miles was still a sweet little one-year old. And now? Hmmmmm, not one and not so sweet.

Now I can't say he's bad because 1. he's not and 2. he's just a kid - a 2-year old. But come on. Why do they just have to YELL???? Where do they learn such behavior? I don't sit and scream in the corner for 15 minutes? Are we born with some yearn for yelling that suddenly develops around age 2? I don't know?

But, ummmm, can anybody tell me if the terrible-twos GO as fast as they come? Also, what's a mom to do?

Miles for the past couple of days just has these uncontrollable yelling/crying episodes. I can't understand him (he resembles the father on the movie "A Christmas Story" when he's having some car trouble and just yells incomprehensible words). At least he is not screaming at the top of his lungs - he is more grunting from deep in his chest.

I just don't know what I am suppose to do as a mom. He went to time-out after I gave him a warning today for yelling - then he just yelled and yelled. He became quite wild. So I tried to hold him and divert his attention elsewhere, but it didn't work. So then I stuck him in his crib. He yelled/cried for the next 10-12 mintues (hours, maybe????) and then calmed down and became managable. So what do I do - continue time-outs, etc.? Any other tips - ummm, Rebecca, what was that about pepper on the tongue???? :)

Anyways, moments like this I say thank goodness for JONAS. He is such a little sweetie. He just busts up laughing when we play "peek-a-boo," "eye-winker. . ." (from Grandma Diana), or just look at him. He is such a cutie and so nice to have around. (Don't worry, I still absolutely LOVE Miles.) I have Jonas' 6-month appointment on Friday so we'll see how he's doing. He likes all baby food except peaches. I've decided to try to make the baby food instead of buying it - I can make 2lbs of pureed carrots for 99 cents, versus buying it for like 5 bucks. 4 dollars doesn't sound bad, but an increase of about 500% does! (Is that right math, erin?). It comes down to spending let's say $40/month on commercial stuff versus $8/month on homemade. Or something like that. We'll see how long it lasts, though! I just got an email from some babysite and it talked about nitrites in carrots and beets and such and how they should be commercially bought for babies. Gosh. I'll have to ask the pediatrician about that one.

Anyways, enough babbling. My VTers should be coming any moment. But I might as well post a picture while I'm blogging. The picture is one of the scariest things I've done with Miles - fingerpainting! It was fun, but really scary. Another scary thing we did last week was Miles going down this huge, steep slide all by himself. He had to climb up the steep ladder - he would not let me on them! And, seriously, they are steep. But, of course, he did great.

Anyways, I'll go. . . for now. . . but any help would be appreciated. . .

3 comments:

rebecca said...

Oh Emily! Great post! I'd love to hear the results of a survey like the one you proposed. I'm going to send you an email so I don't leave you a seriously long comment. I LOVE reading your blog. It's really nice to know I'm not the only one with various issues. :)

erin malia said...

I think the interesting way to show that data would be to take a sample of families and ask them what the age differences (in months) are between their children. And then you'd just plot it with a histogram. If your hypothesis is correct, Emily, you'd see a big gap at the 2.75 year to 3.75 years. It would be very inteeeeeresting.

Kristen said...

So....don't ask me these questions. I'm right there with you Emily. Tyler can be quite the little pill sometimes. We just got over a hitting/pushing phase. It was bad for a little while, but now he doesn't do it. He knows it's wrong and that....he gets in big trouble if he hits or pushes. He hasn't started the yelling...but it is coming....I know it..... Da da da. Two year olds.....they're awesome.

PS: So when are you having another baby?