2014

2014

Thursday, June 07, 2007

What is Your . . .


So this is something I have been wanting to ask for a long time on my blog, but for some reason, feel I am invading people's privacy! But here goes the big question: I want to know what people spend on their grocery bill. There I said it. Seriously, I would love to know (if you're willing to share) what your average grocery spending per person is.
Ben and I came up with a budget a while ago and I don't think I have ever made the grocery budget - well maybe when we go to our folks' homes for a week or so. But that's it. So I feel extremely guilty that I cannot stay within our budget. Now I don't try very hard, but it's because I don't feel like I am buying a lot of wasteful things. Sure, I have put a limit on how many bags of chocolate chips I'll buy a month (2), but really I don't buy TONS of junk food. Just enough of flour, sugar, and cocoa to MAKE my own junk food - just kidding, kind of.

Without me mentioning anything about my grocery bill dilemma to my sister, she told me she read (online chat group? I can't remember) about what people spent a month - and it was a crazy amount! Like $1000 for a family of 2 to 3. A couple months ago when I was wondering what the "average" would be, I looked it up online. I read crazy stuff, too - like people (without kids) spending what we do on "dining-out" alone!
Then today in the Denver Post there was a short article about the Mayor doing some "challenge" to spend $25/week to see what it's like for those on food stamps. There is actually some challenge to all politicians entitled "Food Stamp Budget Challenge" in which the person is to spend $21/week total for all food eaten. The U.S. Department of Agriculture, which handles Food Stamps, states the nationwide average monthly benefit in 2005 to be $94.05 per person.


So, gosh, I did not mean for this to be this long. I'm just curious what you people spend.


By the way, we end up spending about $90/per person a month.
And you?

7 comments:

erin said...

okay, we spend $225 for the month. at least, that's our budget and we are usually right near it. so that's about $112.50 per person, per month. and the other amounts you quoted? they were co-workers of C.

rebecca said...

I am ashamed to say I have no idea. Budgeting is not my forte. When I go to the grocery store, I spend between $200-$300 every time. And David or I go 2 or 3 times per month - ish. When David shops we end up with more snacks and junk than when I go, and I tend to stock up on stuff more than he does - so it all sort of works out to be in that same range every time. And we go out to eat a few times for dinner dates every month and I don't know that total. And David pays for his work lunches through the business, so that doesn't count. Sorry I didn't answer your questions at all, did I? I am inspired by your questions to start keeping track of these things and try budgeting.

Megan said...

This is the type of thing that I get curious about, too. I used to only spend about $200 a month on groceries, but we've expanded our budget a little. I think our budget (and yes, we have a budget- it's what happens when you're married to a financial planner) calls for about $300 a month but I've been spending more like $400 (dang Costco). This is not counting eating out, which we don't do too often, but it adds up quick. I've tried doing the double coupons in the past but that didn't last very long. I know I spend less when I sit and plan out a menu for the week, and then go shopping for those meals. Where I get in trouble is when I have to run to the closest grocery store for just one or two things and end up spending $50.

A said...

We are a little embarrassed about how much we spend...$133 per person a month (there are three of us). Typically it is about $100/week at Target. We also don't buy much junk food, just stuff to make junk food. It seems that most of our money goes towards produce, and since we can't have a garden where we live, we are stuck paying that (produce is more expensive here than it was in Utah, and don't get me started about liquid gold, aka milk).

A said...

Check out this interesting link about food and income:
http://www.bls.gov/cex/csxann05.pdf
It's straight from e's department.

linda (erin's sis-in-law) said...

Ihis is tough, is really just groceries? Cause everytime we go I buy detergent and the other necessities, we include that in our grocery budget and for a family of 6 (5 who are eating real food right now) we spend about 700. I don't think we have ever separated the food to see what we spend specifically on that. We do have a budget though.:)

Niederfam said...

SHOOT............it puts it in perspective. I spend entirely TOO much, usually, but all within my budget. What I mean is, I could be saving more, but always find things we "need" at Target, which is exactly why I shouldn't go there, but rather to a FOOD only store, but you know with two little ones, I'd much rather one stop shop, even if it costs me a bit more, see I said it!!! I'm bad, and I'll be the first to admit it.............:)