Thursday, August 30, 2007

emmy ryan



Well she arrived on the "perfect" day - the day we deemed would be ideal for her to come! The only problem was that she came out a little too fast. I was kind of sick to my stomach all afternoon long but since that wasn't necessarily a new thing with this pregnancy, I wasn't convinved that this was "the day." In fact, it wasn't until about 7:30-ish pm that I had my first "real labor contraction" and knew things were happening. By 8:30 the contractions were coming every 4 or so minutes and I told Ben to call the babysitter. By 9:15 we were at the hospital and I was miserable - I really am not a fan of labor in any way. The nurse who checked me told me I was a 4-5 (which I now doubt) and pretty high. Good, I thought, then let's get an epidural going. But by the time she got my IV in, another nurse had come in and taken over and checked me again - she said I was a 6-7 and pretty low, thus she wasn't too sure I would get my epidural. So I cried for a minute and then went back to cursing my contractions. I also told her to go ahead and give me some fentanyl.

The nurse came back and told me the doc had OK'd the epidural (hoping it would slow me down and thus give us time for needed IV antibiotics), the anesthesiologist had been paged, and she gave me some fentanyl. The fentanyl worked ok, but it wasn't really anything great. I had been standing up and started to feel a little woozy and decided to sit down. I got back to bed and the nurse told me to let her know when I needed to push. "Ummm, I need to push right now!" came my reply. She quickly checked me and told me I was ready - yeah, I know! So I think she dashed out and yelled for help and came back to catch the baby! It took one or two pushes for Emmy to come out. The CNM then came in as well as a bunch of other nurses. My doc was there about 5 minutes later - I don't know how he got there so quickly. All in all, I was in the hospital for 75 minutes before Emmy came!

To make a medium-long story not super-long, I'll try and condense. When I was nursing her about 30 minutes later I noticed that she was no longer nursing and looked blue. My doc was in there and he took her out. She had low oxygen and was put on a nasal canula for supplemental O2. The pediatrician arrived a short time later and really wasn't concerned since she showed no signs of respiratory distress. But she was ordered to stay in the nursery. She had to have an IV to get some antibiotics since I didn't get my proper doses - so she had an IV, O2, and monitors all tied up to her. She didn't feed well for the first 24 hours, but otherwise was fine on the O2. She was on O2 for the next 2 1/2 days and was deemed to have "transitional pulmonary insufficiency of infancy" (a term the doc kind-of made up). Basically she came out too fast and didn't have time to "transition" into the outside world.

She was on O2 for the 2 1/2 days we spent there, but was taken off and we were sent home without O2 early this afternoon. All seems well so far. She wants to nurse all the time because after 5 minutes of yummy milk, she falls asleep! One of Ben's first comments about Emmy was, "She cries like a girl." And you know what? She does! And I finally had Emmy in my room last nite and realizes that she whines like a girl, too. :) Gosh! :) But we love her and are so glad to all be together again!

The Arrival

The proud papa and his little girl!

The proud mama. Emmy with her "pipes and hoses" as Miles called them!

Our sweet little baby girl.

The Departure

After 2 1/2 days, Emmy and I finally got to leave. I was beyond happy.

When we got home the boys were really excited to hold Emmy. Miles did a really great job!

Jonas did a really good job for about 10 seconds, then couldn't resist the urge to "honk" Emmy's nose! But Jonas is doing a great job as big-brother. He is always saying "hold me" to the baby - meaning "hold her." And asking where the baby is, etc.

The Big-Brother Fairy

I don't know why I made up the big-brother fariy all of sudden today, but for some reason I did. So I told the boys during their naps that the Big-Brother Fairy would come and give them a special new gift for being great, new big brothers. The gifts were backpacks (I got Miles' for a penny and Jonas' for 99 pennies - both from ebay. S&H added to the cost, but still!) with a couple fun snacks and some Burger King toys (sent with the backpacks).

Doesn't Miles look so old with his backpack on!? Gosh.

And cute little Jonas - who still is just as cute, but not quite as little since his new sister arrived.

So there ya have it. I'm sure I'll be posting more pics of Emmy soon.


Isa said...

YAY! We are so happy for you! She is beautiful! I am so glad all is well. A little scary for a bit, huh? Yes, welcome to our world of girly girls. They whine and cry just as they are supposed to...She is a doll! We want more pics of Emmy! Oh, the dresses and frills...Pink, too. Congratulations! We love to pic of Ben holding Emmy. Aw.

erin said...

i love the shots of the boys holding her! i can't wait to meet her...only four more months. sigh. but yes, yes, more pictures!

Megan said...

I don't want to hear any complaining about having to stay in the hospital for 2 1/2 days. I do remember a post awhile back about wanting some alone time with this new one. Beggers can't be choosers.
Glad little Miss Emmy is doing well. Brought back some memories for me, but glad yours wasn't like mine.
Way to go on the fast delivery. I pray my next one is that fast. I'm sure it won't be. And 1-2 pushes - what's that all about? Hopefully I can cut mine down to under two hours.
Congrats, congrats, congrats. Girls Rock!!!!

emily said...

oh but megan i wanted not only a couple day stay, but also "fun" things to do - and a little pampering. like yoga and baking classes, chat groups, etc. maybe pedicures - stuff like that.

i liked spending time with emmy, but i am not one who is content to sit for days. it's almost more stressful to me!

Kristen said...

Congratulations Emily! She is so precious. Uhh....and your delivery...hello..that is so awesome how fast it went. Glad she is better and that things are well in the Maxwell house of .....5 now.

Megan said...

By the way, how much did she weight? And did you color your hair?

rebecca said...

Yay! Congrats Emily. That must have been a scary few days. She is so cute! A little pink love - now you need to change your blog title! Your delivery with Emmy sounds a lot like mine with Madeline. I was suddenly a 10, no epidural and 2 pushes later there she was! That's the way to go (except for the drama before and after of course!) I so happy for you and your sweet family. I sure hope I get to meet your 3 boys and Emmy someday. Love you!

emily said...

hmmm, i'm not convinced fast is the way to go - it was fast AND furious in my opinion! i would have liked slow and methodical. :)

she was 7lbs. 2oz. - perfect size!

Megan said...

So glad to hear Emmy is here and healthy. I'm a one or two pusher myself. Were the antibiotics for GBS? I've had that for two of my three and for some reason whenever the GBS positive comes back it makes me feel like it's an STD or something. Anyway, cute baby, cute boys, and you look great!

Niederfam said...

YEAH!!!!! She is just beautiful!! I really love the big brother fairies too!! What a great idea. And umm....fast and furious is right, I'm oh so glad I really have no concept of the whole labor thing because I chooose to be induced, and get that epidural started right about the time I'm a 2 and they break my water.....here's to hoping I get that option EVERY time and WOW you are superwoman....LOVE the pink stuff!!!