2014

2014

Monday, December 31, 2007

Goodbye 2007, It was a great year. . .


Since this (i.e., my blog) is also my journal and scrapbook, I am going to paste in my Christmas letter for the year 2007 (you can read the letter if you click on the bottom picture as well). If you got one, no need to read it again; if you didn't, enjoy:
Emmy, also known as "you Cutie," is the newest member of our little family; she was born on August 27th. She began sleeping through the night at 1-week of age. She is already sitting up on her own. No socks have ever come off her little feet. She has never had the tiniest of spit-up. She even came complete with a Book of Instructions.
Jonas will be turning two in a couple of weeks. "Terrible Twos" wouldn't describe him - not even remotely. More like "Terrific Twos." He's never said "no," has never thrown a fit or tantrum, and always says "please" and "thank-you ." He chooses to eat broccoli over candy. He even does all the dishes after every meal.
Miles (3 3/4) can count to "100" without making a mistake. He can already read books - he will even read Jonas his bedtime stories if we (mom and dad) are too tired to do so. He loves to share, even his favorite toys, with Jonas - he says that sharing makes him "tingle" inside. I only have to ask him to do something once and it is done - perfectly.
Ben and I will be moving into a new house in a few months - a 3000 sq. ft. home with 3 acres, complete with a little farm. Ben loves everything about his job; I have never, not once, complained about being a stay-at-home mom. I finished my first triathlon 2 months after Emmy was born. Ben finished the entire collection of books (30 books in al) he got for Christmas last year. I was able to smile and laugh the entire time of my labor with Emmy.
Okay, we can dream right?
While Emmy is the most beautiful little gal we've seen, she's yet to consistently sleep through the night. Not only have I gotten spit-up on me, I have also gotten quite a bit of "snot-smear" on my shirts as she has had to deal with several colds already. And not only did she not come with a Book of Instructions, she is far different than my two boys. But we love her all the same.
Jonas is adorable, but does know how to say "No!" very well. And he doesn't just say "No!" he
also throws his right arm out at the same time - for added effect, I'm guessing. He eats well all day long until dinner - then hardly eats. Unless we have some "treat" afterwards - then he usually eats it all up. He's a silly, fun boy and we love him all the same, too.
Miles can count. . . to 14. He can't read yet, but does adore books. Although lately he's been getting only one book at bedtime since he takes forever to get his PJs on - even though we've asked him over and over and over to get them on. While he has moments of sharing, he has an uncanny ability to be in a completely different room playing with something, yet still know the exact instant when Jonas touches a toy - any toy. Miles is on Jonas in a millisecond to give him back his "favorite toy." We love his inquisitive and quest-for-knowledge personality - we love him all the same, too, of course.
We still live in our 1000 sq. ft. home that magically gets smaller and smaller. While we like our home, "someday" we hope to have something a little bigger. Ben really does have a great job, but he still constantly dreams of other things to do "when he grows up." He is kept very busy with his work, church callings, and being a great husband and father that he barely has time for leisurely activities. While I wouldn't trade being a stay-at-home mom for anything, it is a challenge for me - I never thought a stay-at-home mom would actually "stay-at-home" so much! I do run every morning, but am no where near condition to enter a triathlon. And I definitely did not laugh nor smile during labor - I probably got mad at Ben if he even cracked a small smile.
But, even without our "dream" life, we are so happy to be where we are and who we are with. We love each other and love our kids. We love the Gospel and the happiness it inspires in our every-day lives. We love this season and the happiness that is found in it - and believe this happiness is due to the Spirit of Christ and His goodness that is so alive and active at this time of year. May you enjoy the Christmas Spirit this season as well.

8 comments:

d&a said...

as i read your letter, my blood pressure started to rise! i was totally buying the no spit up bit and getting jealous! as i read on i finally realized it was too good to be true. what can i say, i'm a sucker. i'm also happy to learn that you do freqently get spat upon as i have have received some down my cleavage twice this week! (where did i sign up for that?!) ps. your folks' home looks neat

erin said...

when did cutie start being used? i feel like i didn't even hear it once!

emily said...

angie - lots of people were sucked in. even parents. :)

cutie is used lots. jonas almost always refers to her as "you cutie." i don't know how you missed it!?

Niederfam said...

Oh, I LOVED your letter, it makes me smile just reading it again....I'm thinking I may steal the idea for next year...

emily said...

definitely steal the idea, natalie. did i not send you a card? you mentioned something once that gave me the impression that i didn't? if not, i totally meant to!?

Melissa said...

I love that you keep your boys hair long.

Jenson Family said...

You totally had me going too!! Cute Christmas card and greeting. Happy New Year! Can you believe that we graduated almost 6 years ago now??

Sara said...

I can't even begin to tell you how many bottles of shout, bleach pens, and loads of laundry I have to do with my spit upy baby. I feel for you! Great letter!