2014

2014

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Eternity Bread


This is what this bread will be called in our house forever more. Ben baked it and got the recipe from his Scandanavian Cookbook that he got for his birthday. The books calls it "Danish Country Egg Bread." But, alas, in our house it shall henceforth be called Eternity Bread. For two reasons. The first reason because, before we sliced it and started eating it, it was in a lovely braided circle. And whenever we discuss "eternal" things with Miles and Jonas (like eternal love, families, etc.), we use the example of a circle and how there is no beginning and no end.
The second reason is because from this bread I understood perhaps another reason why we get married for eternity. Let me explain. . .

So, Ben got home from work and this was our discussion:

Me: "Ohhhhh, I've been waiting to slice and eat your bread for dinner" (to go along with our yummy Baked Oatmeal). "I'm excited."

Ben: "Really, you really like it?"

Me: "Yes! It's really good."

Ben: "Huh, that surprises me."

Me: "Why?" (I was trying to give him a chance to prove that he actually did know something about me that perhaps I didn't or had just fogotten. But that was not to be. . . )

Ben: "Because it's just plain."

Exactly.

I love plain things. Yes, I am the girl who ate a plain, Rich's whole-wheat bagel just about every day for lunch for 2 or so years. Not toasted, sliced, heated, or topped. Yes, I am the girl who ate whole-wheat cereal for breakfast just about every day for 2 or so years as well. Yes, I am even the girl who likes to eat your Johnny Cakes - which are so plain. I love plain things.

So maybe, just maybe, we are married for eternity so that the closer we get to eternity Man might understand Woman. Might.

But I won't be holding my breath.

9 comments:

Niederfam said...

From one "plain" girl to another, although I'm starting to branch out a bit, I do get a flavored bagel now, although still topped with PLAIN cream cheese!!!

Wirig Family Blog said...

I love your last comment. I sometimes think that I am getting closer to understanding men and them me, but then I wake up are realize that we are so incredibly different that there is no way we can ever fully grasp one another. I guess that is what makes life so interesting!

Megan said...

If you like plain things, what does that say about what you think of Ben and all you good friends?

itsmeemily said...

I LOVE plain things!! It must be an Emily Galbraith thing :) Plain bagels and plain cream cheese, plain rice cakes...oh and I dont like very many sauces- sweet and sour, ketchup, mustard, fry sauce. Yep, I prefer my fries plain thanks. Glad I have a friend in that dept.

itsmeemily said...

I LOVE plain things!! It must be an Emily Galbraith thing :) Plain bagels and plain cream cheese, plain rice cakes...oh and I dont like very many sauces- sweet and sour, ketchup, mustard, fry sauce. Yep, I prefer my fries plain thanks. Glad I have a friend in that dept.

Nicole said...

I happen to be a plain gal too. I used to like a plain bagel with plain cream cheese! And cheese pizza for me is best!

CresceNet said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

erin said...

so does ben have anything to say in his defense?

emily said...

megan - ben is plain and simple. :) that's why i married him - like i said, i LOVE plain things. my friends - gosh you guys are all so varied!

and erin - i heard him give a defense to his folks (he never gave it to me): he knows i like plain whole-wheat things, but didn't know i'd like white bread.
(but, come on, he knows i love it when we have french bread with our pasta. so i'm not sure that's a really strong defense. i wouldn't chance it in court.)