2014

2014

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Live Today Like It's Your Last Day

(warning: This post goes absolutely nowhere. If you are looking for wisdom or wit, do not read this.)

So I am reading that book by Randy Pausch entitled, "The Last Lecture." Now while he has thus far never stated the phrase, "live today like it's your last day," it is a common phrase and one I have been thinking of as I read the book.

To inspire and/or motivate people, many a times we are told that phrase. Or, for us mormons, we might hear something akin to this: "Live your life like tomorrow is the Second Coming."

Hogwash.

I can't do that. Seriously. It doesn't make sense to live my life like I was living my last day here on earth. Sure maybe when I do hear those phrases I do think, "Gosh, I should read my scriptures today, be more patient, sing hymns in the car, etc. . . " (just in case, you know), but in reality it's not too practical. (I, too, don't know where I am going with this. Perhaps I should just go to bed. I am tired.)

For instance, today I sat Jonas on the toilet for like 1 1/2 hours (not all at once mind you) for him to poop - he finally did. Now, if today were my last day on earth, I would not have chosen that as one of the last things I'd do here on earth. Nor would I have had sensible meals all day long. Nor would I have had Ben go to work - he would have called in "sick" (come on, don't we all truly get sick of work every now and then?) But I can't live my life like that because kids need to be potty-trained, we need to take care of our bodies, people need to go to work, etc.

But. . . I just realized that perhaps behaviorly I should live every day is if it were my last. So instead of doing things (or not doing things) I would (or wouldn't) do if it were my last, I should at least makes changes in my attitude and behaviors so that if it was indeed my last day I would be pleased with how I acted in certain situations, how I reacted, my tone of voice, my outward affections to those around me, my prioritizations for the day, etc.

Ha, so maybe it is a good phrase after all. Better yet, maybe it should be something like, "Think Today Like It's Your Last Day To Think." Unless, of course, you are 100% sure that it is your last day here on earth - then, by all means, live today like it's your last day. (Hey, I warned you in the beginning.)

3 comments:

erinmalia said...

i totally agree. if today were my last day, you better believe i'm having skinny cows and mcdonald's ice cream and rice krispie treats at every meal.

but maybe i'd be a little nicer to my husband and baby. hmm...there's the lesson i suppose.

itsmeemily said...

I definitely agree. It is all about our attitude and how we are towards others that makes all the difference anyway, right? You cant do all the 'activities' and things but you can be the person you want to be.

Hans and Michelle said...

Amen.