2014

2014

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I'm A Quitter

and I mean this in the most literal way. I quit my nursing job a few weeks ago. I was working only once a week, but that turned out to be once-a-week too much for me. How lame? I could say I quit because I was pregnant - but that is not true. I never even thought about quitting because I was pregnant. With my 3 other pregnancies I have worked up to the very end, so I couldn't use that excuse.

The bottom line of why I quit: I hated it. Really. I don't hate nursing, I just hate med-surg night-shift. I think because I only worked once a week I wasn't super familiar with the policies, procedures, etc., and so it made everything all that more difficult. I routinely had 6-7 patients, with usually 3 of them being what I would call "high-acuity." High-acuity as in very high demanding. Very. Most nights I would be done with receiving report at 7:30pm and would not get a chance to sit down (literally) until about 2am. That was rough. I had oodles of charting to catch up on - while still tending to the needs of my needy patients.

I have not regretted quitting at all. It was definitely the right choice for me. But I wish I didn't have to feel that way. I wish I could still work and enjoy it. But I cannot and will not do med-surg. again. I've done it ever since I've graduated - 8 years almost. Not full-time of course, but still.

There are nursing opportunities I would love to try. . . someday. When I have more time to get comfortable with something new.

But for now I'll stick with my day-job of MOM. And, yes, while I still have 3 high-acuity "patients" in my care; and my "shift" is still about 12-hours a day, (but 7 days a week); and the pay stinks; and sometimes I truthfully "hate" it too, I'm in this job for the long run. And that's the best career choice I've ever made.

8 comments:

erinmalia said...

if quitting is the best decision for you and your family, then it is! good job making a good decision.

Jenson Family said...

Hey, don't feel bad about that! You are right - the family is most important. I worked up until I had my 2nd, but it was so stressful for the family. I was tired the day after, the days before were spent getting ready for my shift (napping, doing laundry), and it was NOT worth it to me. I felt how you did - I didn't work enough to feel super confident in all of the policies/procedures, or the day to day happenings in the unit. My hubby was actually glad that I stopped working. It was just enough to throw us off and stress us all out a little. There are days when I wonder why I'm not working at least part time... I do have that guilt too. But our kids are only going to be little for so long... We've got the rest of our lives to work and be nurses. I don't want to regret missing out on these years with my little ones... Hang in there. You made a GREAT choice!

Niederfam said...

couldn't agree with your final paragraph more!!! it's just like now that i'm done with my degree, everyone wants to know what i'll DO WITH IT, hmmm......i'll put it on the wall in a frame for now, thanks for asking!!! if it benefits you and your family it's usually the right call!!! ;)

katxrina said...

Im a Quitter too Em.. Except Most cases I quit my life.. For a few hours mostly, But Sometimes thats enough for me.. :D

Nicole said...

I say good for you! It sounds exhausting just reading about it!! I think you're right...one day you can go back, but now doesn't sound like it was worth it!!

Kristen said...

I hear you with night shift. Although, we would make it fun and bearable if we worked together. Maybe someday we'll do ICU together. Come on Emily.....someday......

Hans and Michelle said...

Just another post that reminds me of why I like you:)

courtney said...

i'm with hans & michelle. this post is fabulous!

congratulations on being a quitter!