2014

2014

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Chicken Farmers

We are now chicken farmers. This has been a dream of Miles' for the last year. And a dream of Ben's for. . . I don't know how long. It just goes along with his ultimate dream of being a farmer. A garden, now chickens. I wonder what's next. . . ?

Anyways, Ben built the chicken coop (called "the barn" by Emmy) from mostly scraps in our backyard. I think it turned out great. Although it was a way bigger project than we realized - meaning it took longer than expected and was definitely more stressful! I'll show more pictures once it's fully completed - we still have a few things to do.

But getting the chicks just couldn't wait. And since everything was in order to house chicks (we think???), we went last nite. The kids were bursting with excitement - especially Miles. Unespecially me. Ha. (Remember, I hate birds. And while these chicks are so adorable, adults are not. Oh well. But actually, I am excited about this as I think it will be a neat, fun, and learning experience. Plus, I think getting eggs from our back yard will be so cool.)

Emmy got a Delaware chicken and named her "Princess Nora." Jonas got an araucana and something else. His chicks' names are "Peck-peck" (changed from "Peggy" as of last nite) and "P.P." (not "pee-pee" b/c when I questioned him on the name he said, "no, you know like the letters." whatever.). Miles got 2 americana greens. One is named "Eggy." The other, "Cheep-cheep." Awesome.





6 comments:

i {heart} hawkes said...

great timing with easter. my brother would be so jealous. he has been researching raising chickens for weeks now and is dead set on doing it for the eggs. which is great, but he's living in sandy - ha! can't wait to see an update on your adventure.

erinmalia said...

i have to get this out of my system---blech! birds, chickens, blech!

okay. it's gone. i love the names the kids picked out. can't wait to see how quickly they turn ugly!

rebecca said...

Yay! I seriously love chickens! I'm so jealous. I can't wait to see the finished barn.

courtney said...

i totally want chickens - - what is happening to me?! for now, we just get our eggs from a family in the ward who has chickens. it is a pretty good system.

i want to see the barn!

Nicole said...

Oh my, these pics are invaluable! so so cute! We have neighbors who have 16 chicks right now I think! So we will have to head over and see them when it gets a bit nicer out :)

Melissa said...

Cute chicks! You'll have to keep us posted on the adventure!