2014

2014

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

July 4th Weekend (J4W), Part: Friday

We just got back from a pretty great trip to my parent's home for the 4th. We did a lot of stuff, had a lot of fun, and got a lot of pictures. So, to make it a little more bearable, I'm going to break up our weekend into days. We left Thursday and so our first real day was Friday.

First things first: ride my dad's new toy. He's been wanting one of these things for a while and finally his wife conceded. :) My kids loved riding around in it and I even enjoyed the little ride I went on with Ben. On a nice, paved road. Ha.
The happy crew.

I love those faces. Ben said about Jonas: "He looks like an old man!" A cute old man, of course.

Then it was on to minnow-catching. Miles always wants to do this. Always. It's pretty much the first thing he talks about when we get there. So it was good to go and get it "out of the way." :)

The kids rode bikes to the pond area. My mom loves garage sells and finds amazing deals. She got this adorable princess bike (which, of course, Emmy loved!) for $5. So fun.

Does he look happy or what?

The minnow-catching group. I love how Emmy is totally not in to it.

They caught like a dozen or so minnows and so I'd say it was a success. For us. The minnows all died within the next 3 days or so.

Lucy and I joined the fun as soon as Lucy woke up from her morning nap.

Go, go, get them. Ever since we listened to Laura from Little House on the Prairie talk about minnow-catching, my boys have been pretty enthralled by it.

We went swimming that afternoon as well. It was a grand time, except me being nervous seeing as my kids don't know how to swim. But they got some pool-toys shared to them and had a lot of fun. After that, the boys and I rode our bikes and met my parents, Ben, and the girls at the local dairy farm/barn/store.

There we are on the trail. It was a fun ride. Except for when Jonas biffed it. But he was pretty cool about it.

Little biker dude enjoying his delicious treat (we also got "squeaky cheese" - a favorite).

Of course I shared my sherbet with her. But that's not all you see on her face. I think she got quite a few tastes from just about everyone. :) Lucky.

After that the kids probably played in the driveway/garage area. They loved riding their bikes, scooters, roller-blades, etc. in that area and did it a least a couple times each day we were there.

Then we had dinner and bed. Goodnight!

P.S. I have to mention, for the sake of journaling, that after minnow-fishing the kids were all riding their bikes back home. The boys were ahead, and my mother and I followed - along with Emmy and Lucy. All of sudden I heard some screaming from up ahead. Miles had lagged behind Jonas and came riding up to me: "Jonas needs you!" I was like, okay, well if he needs me he can come and talk to me (he was still riding on his bike so I new he didn't get hurt). Well I kept hearing him scream and I had no idea what had happened. By the time I reached him he was obviously upset and crying. Then he blurted out, "I ran over a snake! It had a rattle!" (It did not have a rattle. Well, I didn't see it, but I'm pretty sure only grass snakes frequent that area. . .). I tried calming him down and told him that that was pretty cool and nothing to worry about. And I couldn't keep myself from laughing. It was hilarious. He finally calmed down. Now he'll have a story to brag about in kindergarten. :)

6 comments:

erinmalia said...

that's so awesome about the snake. wish we were there!

Brad and Lezlee Strong said...

Loved catching up on all your posts em! You are such an amazing mom and I can't believe how fast Lucy is growing up!!

Nicole said...

So fun! Your kids are growing up so fast!

Debbie said...

Awesome trip! I like how excited your dad is in the picture with his new toy too - looks like a fun toy!
I love how you do so many outdoor things all the time, even on vacations. :) And I love your parents house! Where do they live? Their whole neighborhood looks amazing!

emily said...

debbie: my parents live in midway. it's by heber city if you know that? it's basically up provo canyon. it's a wonderful place to live! or at least visit!

Debbie said...

It looks like a beautiful place to live to me too!