2014

2014

Thursday, September 01, 2011

Advice Please

So I know I've had a few cousins and at least one friend do a triathlon. I never will since I can't swim too well - I won't pay to practice, either. So, I'm doing a duathlon on Labor Day. A duathlon is a run, ride, run event. It's been really fun training for it - at least it's different than just running. I love running, but it's good to mix it up a bit.

So, since I've never done a multi-sport event, I need some advice. Like what did you do for water? Just leave it by your bike at the transition spot? Did you eat anything - like MnMs or jelly-beans - for some quick energy at transitions? Should I wear I visor when I run since I'll be running when the sun is up (which is something that I hardly do).

What other tips do you have for me?

And just so you know (or maybe this is just for my pride: admitting defeat before I even start!): I think I'll be one of the slowest racers. And I'm not just sayin' this. I've looked at last year's results and while this race might be a good "first-time duathlon" it doesn't necessarily mean it's for slow people. Oh well. Someone's gotta be last, why not me?

Also, it's a 5.2K run, 30K bike ride, then another 5.2K run. I have a goal time (remember I'm slooooow, seriously) of between 2:20 and 2:30 (but that doesn't include my transition times, which is a part of my time. So I'm not really sure what to expect?). I also have a goal of feeling good when I'm done. :) Another goal: to have my last run be faster than my first running-leg! I don't know why, but this has usually happened in my training. Not way faster, but anywhere from 45 seconds to 2 minutes faster. And when I checked out past results nobody ran faster their 2nd run. So maybe that's far-fetched, but I think it would be cool. We'll see!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

you are my hero. i wish i had advice, but i am just working on making it up my stairs at night to go to bed....good thing my couch is comfy! as long as you have fun and finish i say - rock star. i like how you say that one of your goals is feeling good after because if it's a miserable experience, you won't want to ever do it again. good luck and i can't wait to read about it!!!

erinmalia said...

good luck! that's all the advice i have.

Niederfam said...

YAY. GOOD FOR YOU. I'm so excited for you.

ADVICE: Not that I'm a PRO by any means.....

1. YEP, you'll want food, whatever you normally would eat or use, I'd have options of sitting in transition that you can munch on while you run, easier than trying to eat on the bike, I THINK.

2. Visor for sure, but I about LIVE in sunglasses, maybe it's the blue eyes, I don't know, but I want one for sure. GOOD THINKING.

3. Take water/gatorade on the bike for sure!! You'll want to drink and you should.

Also they have jelly bean electrolytes, just a thought, I like em......AND do you have quick cinch laces for your shoes, will you be changing shoes from bike to run or just wearing the same?

YAY. Can't wait to hear more about it.

TOTALLY you can have a faster time on round 2, why not??? ;)

courtney said...

i wish i had some advice - but i can't wait to hear how it went! and as for coming in last - i did a race several years ago where i was influenced to run because "everybody does it for fun." i found this was not true. i didn't come in last...there was a guy with his lower leg in a brace who came in behind me. sigh. (ha ha!)