2014

2014

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Updates

Here is what will probably turn out to be one long boring post. But I haven't posted updates in a while (have I?) so I thought I should - for my very own sake. Selfish, aren't I? I'll start with the cutest, ahem, I mean youngest.

LUCY.

So this picture was taken one month ago, on her birthday - but I never got around to posting it, so here it is! How lame to post it so late, but oh well. Lucy is grand. Still not walking by herself, but loves to hold hands and walk. Still loves the stairs and is now a master of both up and down. Loves to giggle when being tickled or when everyone else is laughing. Loves to eat whatever we are eating - or at least loves the idea of it. Doesn't totally love sitting in the stroller for our 3-trips daily to school, but if upset she usually calms down before we're out the back gate. Loves her friend Levi - one month older. Loves her cow-milk only if "sprinkled" with some pink nesquik stuff. Loves taking baths with her big sister. Loves getting down and dirty - literally. Loves to have her cranky time/hold me or I scream time when I'm getting dinner ready. Loves to play in Emmy's room.

EMMY
Oh I think she's had it a little rough lately. She needs (and oh I need her) to take a few naps a week. She gets tired. And when she gets tired she gets. . . ugly. Seriously. M, W, and F are her nap days. I can't force her to nap. So I tell her if she doesn't nap, she has to be quiet in her room. But we all pay when she doesn't nap. Last night she was soundly sleeping a little after 6:30 and tonite by a little after 7. She's finally kicked the pull-ups at night thing. Hallelujah. She's not a fan of walking to school 3 times a day. We do "mommy and me" school 3-4 mornings of the week (while Lucy takes a morning nap). It's wonderful having that time with Emmy. But she is so different than my boys! She is hard to teach. I keep telling Ben it's because she eats her toothpaste. He doesn't agree. Now I'm not saying she's not smart, but I am saying she is not interested in academia. I know she's young, but I also know that her 2 brothers showed a far great interest than she does. So I'm trying my very best to be patient with her - and, truthfully, I think I'm doing great. :) She's doing great. She wants to do it now and every morning begs to do school. So that's an improvement. She's not skipping her 6s when she counts this week. Writing her name has become more than just thoughtless scribbles - now it thoughtful scribbles. Kidding. Kind of. She's definitely getting there. Oh, she lost her chicken Princess Nora to a raccoon. We came back from our trip to Littleton and found 4 chickens running in our yard (thus out of their coop and chicken run area). But only 4 chickens, plus a lot of white feathers all over the place. Princess Nora was white. And Emmy's only chicken. (The decapitated body was found by Ben a few houses down in the alley way. . .) Emmy took it like a girl. But now is much better (thanks to an amazing brother, Jonas, who when hearing of the death of Princess Nora came right up to Emmy and said, "You can have one of my chickens.")

JONAS
Our little kindergartner. He says he loves it and I hope he does! He told me one thing he doesn't love about kindergarten - waiting for recess. Ha. He loves girls. Like thinks they're beautiful and stares at them. He tells me so. In fact he's already asked one girl if she'd marry him. I guess she said no. That hasn't stopped him from talking about her quite often tho. . . He often tells me he's the smartest kid in his class. I don't tell him otherwise - let him have confidence. :) I wouldn't go as far as to say the smartest, but that kid does have plenty of smarts. He reads 3-5 letter word books really well. He's always loved the letters - in fact, Ben reminded me the other day, that before he learned his "A, B, Cs" he learned what they said, "aaaaa, bbbbbb, kkkkkk." If that makes sense. He can't stop talking about what he wants when he turns 6 (some lego boat thing) and when he turns 7 (a chiuaua). He mastered 1/2 the monkey bars this past week and showed it off to me one morning. He sits by 2 girls that talk mean and threatening words. He tells me that ______ (one of the girls) lies a lot. I think he's right. He's great at getting ready for school in the morning and filling up his water bottle with fresh water and ice. He loves to "cook" his own oatmeal (in the microwave). He loves to make his own cheese or meat sandwiches. He's hated PB for a while now, but suddenly likes it again (perhaps his beloved in his class once said she likes it???). When I gave them celery with PB and craisins on it, he cheered! He's a wonderful boy. Oh yeah, he continues to dote on Lucy.

MILES
Such a great little student. He adores school. When asked how school was that day, he either replies "Great!" or "Fun!" When asked what was so great or fun, he replies, "All of it!" He likes to do the "pocket dance." A term he made up. I guess many mornings, before school, a bunch of hispanic kids get up on the outdoor stage and dance. It's about the greatest way to start your day - watching a bunch of adorable hispanic boys dance. Seriously. Miles dragged Jonas over to watch one morning and it was just hilarious - in a great way. Miles tried to convince Jonas to go up and dance . . . to no avail. (He would have been the only white boy :) But Miles told me at recess that day he got up by himself on the stage and started doing the "pocket dance." Putting his hands in his pocket and dancing around silly like. Emmy likes to do it as well. I was busting up this morning watching those 2 dance around our family room. Miles is a great little reader. He's recently read the chapter book "Stanley, flat again," (a fun book - he asked me to read it and so I did). Now he's reading "Wayside School Gets a Little Stranger." He loves it. He even read some at recess time this week. Now that's my boy! He's in to collecting rocks. Mainly playground rocks. We've asked him to stop. . . (there's only so many tiny pebbles a mother can stand in her home). He likes the kids in his class and talks about them a lot. He, too, continues to love little Lucy and can be really helpful with her at times (sometimes I ask him to "babysit" her at the home while I try to get something done. . .)

ME
Life is busy now. In a very good way. But exhausting at times, too. This past Monday I was able to go to the boys' school and help out in each classroom. I went to Jonas' class from 9:30-10:30 and that was fun. He was sooooo happy to see me. Such a cutie. He was bummed he didn't get to work with me, but hopefully sometime he will. Then I went back to Miles classroom from 1:15-3. From 1:15-2 the kids are all in P.E. and so I do some tasks for the teacher - like unstapling (so hard!) the work stapled on the outside hall wall. But I loved it. Truly. Then from 2-3ish I sat in the hallway and 6 different kids came to read to me. I loved it, too. So great. Such sweet kids, I thought. So I love that I'll get to do this every other Monday. Tuesday morning Emmy, Lucy and I got to a local and free "music" preschool thing. It's great and Emmy just loves it. Wednesday mornings we are in a play-group co-op with 3 other moms and kids. Each play-group time has 2 moms there - the hosting mom and one more. So twice a month I'm with Emmy (one time at our home) and the other 2 times I drop her off. It's really great. This past week was at our home and it worked out splendidly. Wednesday afternoons Emmy does ballet. Thursday afternoon we do storytime at the library and then today, after story-time and picking up Miles, we went back to the bike jumps and met our friends and had a grand old time. Fridays I have nothing scheduled or planned. I like it that way. It's good to have things going on all week, and so by Friday I'm ready to just do. . . not much. I can no longer run or bike in the mornings as it is still dark by the time Ben has to leave for work. Boohoo. So now my exercise schedule is all over the place. Every morning I do something: a work-out video or jump-rope. I love jump-rope because I get to get out in the fresh air - even if it's just my backyard! 2 evenings a week (Tuesday and Wednesday - a reminder for Ben :) I go on a run as soon as Ben gets back from work. I have dinner pretty much ready to go and Ben does the final touches. It works out, I think. But I really hate evening exercising, but I do want to continue to run of course.

BEN
Ben is truly great. He really is. I hardly mention him on this blog, but I should more often. I'm such a lucky girl to have gotten a man that is so supportive of me and my desires and loves me. Sure, he's got his quirks. . . but they are less than mine so I try to overlook them. . . well, most of them. He sure made some disgusting bread this week. Just ask him. He stunk up the whole house with his extra fermenty rye bread - he could hardly smell the loaves, let alone taste them. I thought maybe the beer-drinkers would have liked it? He made some other bread that I thought pretty nasty (not a fan of caraway in bread), but at least he liked this one. He hardly exercises, but has far greater abs than I probably ever will (so. not. fair.). The kids all love and adore him. Lucy screams out, "Dada!" when he comes home from work. It's pretty much the greatest welcome-home ever. He wants to live in Maine. Seriously wants to live there. Unfortunately his wife doesn't. . . at this point. His home and its forever needed projects, his wife, his 4 kids, his kids' chickens, and his church calling (have I mentioned ever that he is the Young Men's president?) keep him busy. I love him. I love having him home. I love having him near me. I love talking to him, even if he's not really listening or unable to remember what I just told him. I love that when he hugs and kisses me Emmy asks, "Are you getting married again?"

Life is good. Really good. With really bad moments. I need to remember this more.

3 comments:

erinmalia said...

ooh i love your family! let's all move to a cul-de-sac in maine. that would be awesome.

Nicole said...

What a fun update! Man, you guys are BUSY!! Wow. I guess that happens with 4 kiddos! But it sounds like it works out and everyone is happy! Which is all that matters :)

courtney said...

you are so great at recording the little things - i love reading it! and it is a good reminder that i should do the same.

i'm DYING to go to maine. i told troy it is the one thing i have to do before we leave (if we ever leave?) the east. not sure if i'd want to live there but a nice long visit seems pretty dreamy...