2014

2014

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Our Thanksgiving Break

Since my parents head out for Tokyo in just a few weeks, we thought we should squeeze in one last visit with them (sniff, sniff). We arrived at my folks' home late Wednesday afternoon and enjoyed the evening playing, eating, and what not (frankly, I can't really remember. . . )

Thursday = Thanksgiving! I hardly did anything - my mom pretty much did everything. Except make pie crust (Ben and I). My mom is pretty darn efficient and had a lot stuff done or prepped the day/night before.

Miles was very excited about the turkey - at least holding it! :) He couldn't wait. . . it was pretty cute.


Here is some of the gang watching the Macey's Parade. It's a pretty fun parade to watch with the balloon-thingys and fun dancing - but man, who cares about the celebrities?

Emmy was sooooo eager to go bike-riding. She had just tried it sans training-wheels a couple weeks earlier and was anxious to do it some more. She did great! We rode on the street for a while. Then later that afternoon, while Lucy was asleep, Ben and I and the 3 older kids went on a fun bike ride on the trail around the wetlands area in my parents' neighborhood. We stopped to play at the park some, too. It was a really nice day weather-wise and so we tried to take advantage of that.

Ahhhh, the big feast. Yum, yum. Everything was tasty and delicious. However, I will blame the Worst. Cold. Ever for the lack of robust appetites in my children.

Lucy loved feeding herself and her face. Too cute.

Sitting on chairs was fun for my kids. :)

The post-dinner turkey-dancing was wild and romping.

Bawk, bawk!

And Lucy with her famous head-tilt. :) (And dirty clothes from her scooting/dance moves on the floor!) Side-note: Lucy's eardrum ruptured sometime Thursday. We noticed a whole bunch of goop oozing out. Yuck and poor girl. But she did feel better, that 's for sure.)

Friday was a really fun day, too. But no pictures. Ben and I went to the toy store Blickenstaff's in Provo - we took Lucy with us, too. We found some great things there and so that was delightful. (I found out about this store thru nie-nie's blog. . .) While we were there my parents and Miles, Jonas, and Emmy were at the BYU's Bean Museum. They loved it and even talked my dad into buying them a little something at the store. :) Of course. We met them for lunch (Emmy was in tears with an earache. . .) and then headed to the BYU Creamery for ice cream (and a do-nut for our non-ice-cream lover Jonas). Of course we had to make a stop at the pharmacy for Lucy's called-in antibiotic drops and some ibuprofen for Emmy. Oh geez.

We got home that afternoon and there was probably some more bike-riding or something. Then dinner, then Ben and I headed out to the Provo Temple to do a session. The kids (minus Lucy, who I had already put to bed) got to stay up and watch "Toy Story 3" with my parents and then they put them to bed. Ben and I had quite the memorable experience at the temple - as hackers. Coughing-hackers, that is. Oh geez it was bad. The first part of it I had 2 really bad spells. I couldn't stop coughing. The man officiating gave me a mint life-saver. Then the 2nd time I had to leave and get a drink. A kindly lady in the hallway gave me a disgusting piece of peppermint gum and that seemed to abate the coughing. No more fits, but an occasional cough here or there. Ben's coughing, on the other hand, picked up during the second 1/2. :) Luckily he had no major fits. But man it was rough. I felt so bad and embarrassed! Ben and I both said that for every cough we let out, there was about 5-10 that we somehow muffled or choked on. But it was still nice to be there. :)

Saturday morning we took the 3 older kids swimming, while Lucy napped. The kids adored it. I tolerated it - being around 3 kids that really don't know how to swim is somewhat stressful to me. But the water was warm and it was truly fun.

Later on my mom and I did some shopping. I bought some cute fabric (okay, my mom did) to make Christmas Eve PJs for the kids. Then we went to the thrift store and I scored 3 "new" pants - just what I needed! Each for like $3 or something. :) Ben took the older kids out on another bike ride while Lucy napped again and my Dad "babysat." :)

Then we headed down to Thanksgiving Point to the "Ancient Life Museum." It was really great. Such a huge and fantastic exhibit.

Digging for fossils is always a hit.

Miles was excited about what he had "found."

Yikes!

We then ate at the little cafe there and then drove around the Christmas-light display. Another great day. Especially just being together as family. My parents included - lucky for us!

Our kids sure got wiped out! The hardly ever fall asleep in the car - let alone at the same time! But this was soooo nice for us - we got home about 7:30 and Ben just walked each kid down, one by one, and put them to bed in their clothes. The easiest bedtime we've had in ages. :) Miles even took a nap or 2 - something he hasn't done in years! Good fun = good 'n tired.

I just had to throw in this last picture. Lucy loved doing this. She did it on other things - like a toy scooter, a box, etc. - but the chairs were her favorite. We ended up having to put the chairs all lined up against the back of the couch for her safety's sake. Silly girl.

Oh we had a dandy time. We even got to hear my parents both speak on Sunday. They truly did fantastic. I'm so excited for them and their mission. I will miss seeing them, though! But I'm grateful for their good examples to me and my kids. We all love them and are glad we could spend some great times with them before they leave.

4 comments:

erinmalia said...

i've been waiting for these. glad you had a good time and hope the recovery is speedy!

Emily said...

Sounds like a perfect holiday! Glad you got to spend it with your parents before they leave! Next time you're in Provo you should check out La Jolla Groves (it's by Blickenstaffs) for dinner. Looks like you all got to do some very fun things! What a wonderful time for your family.

Niederfam said...

OH VERY fun time indeed. I cannot believe that was your "last" visit before they are off, but it's ANY day now isn't it? WOW.

courtney said...

oh, that sounded like such a great weekend. especially if it is your last with your parents for awhile. glad you squeezed so many good times into a few days!