2014

2014

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Gone is 2011. . .


It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. . .
The Maxwell Family’s 2011 Best and Worst of Times:

Best:  Our (new) annual ski-trip to the awesomely kid-friendly resort of Kendall Mtn. in Silverton, Colorado.  Two days of skiing plus staying overnight in a quaint home made it heavenly for our kids and us.
Worst:  Driving back to our home in a nasty, nasty snowstorm on one of the most treacherous mountain passes in America (siderails, anyone??).  I’m pretty sure I was crying for at least ½ of the drive home.

Best:  Celebrating my grandmother – a wonderful and beautiful lady whose positive outlook on life was a blessing and example to all of us who knew her.
Worst:  Her (Grandma Phyllis - Jelly-bean Grandma to my kids) sudden passing away in her home in Utah.  She was 93 years old.

Best:  Going camping as a family.  Sleeping in the great outdoors.  Cool nights.  Campfires.
Worst:  Going camping with Lucy – who was less than one at the time.  One time I stayed up the whole night holding her so she could sleep.  The other time it was Ben’s turn.  The other time?  There wasn’t.

Best:  The Maxwell Family Reunion.  This included Ben’s folks and all 3 of his siblings, plus spouses.  As well as 13 cousins.  This was in the Silverthorne area of Colorado.  It was beautiful and offered plenty of fun recreation – biking, hiking, trail-running (me and my sister-in-law, so fun!), etc.  But the best, truly, was being with family – devotionals, dinners, evening activities, and so on.  Our kids loved and adored their cousins so much!
Worst:  The Reunion coming to an end.  Bummer.

Best:  Two boys going to school.  Two boys who adore, adore, adore school and both of which are truly great students.
Worst:  Walking to and from school at 8am, 11am (to pick up ½ day attendee Jonas), and again at 3pm.  Now I love getting out in the fresh air – yes, even cold, fresh air.  But I don’t love Emmy crying at least 1 out of the 3 times we have to go to school, every day.  It gets real old.

Best:  Going to my parents’ home for Thanksgiving.  My parents are leaving on a mission for our church in December.  They are going to Tokyo, Japan (or Pinocchio, Japan as 2 of my kids call it) for 18 months.  We loved being with them and did a lot of fun activities – museums, lunch, ice cream, Christmas lights, etc.
Worst:  Most of my family was suffering from the Worst.  Cold.  Ever.  Sore throats, extreme congestion, throbbing ears, body aches – you name it.  I was on antibiotics for an ear infection.  Lucy’s eardrum ruptured while there.  At times Ben was achy and nauseous.  Emmy cried from ear pain.  The boys seemed okay.  

Reflecting on this past year I see so many “best of times.”  Our family has been richly blessed with so much.  But when it comes down to it I think most of our blessings are not from what we get or receive – but, rather, from what we know.  For I know that we are all children of God.  I know that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.  And I know that families can be together forever.  It are these specific blessings of truth that give me peace and joy this holiday season.

Much love this Christmas season,

Ben, Emily, Miles, Jonas, Emmy, and Lucy Maxwell

3 comments:

erinmalia said...

love the card! what a great picture of you guys.

Kandy Sue said...

I love {love} LOVE the family picture!!!! *adore*

courtney said...

i guess we are all in agreement, because i loved your card too! very funny. very, very funny. my favorite? glad you asked:

"One time I stayed up the whole night holding her so she could sleep. The other time it was Ben’s turn. The other time? There wasn’t."

I laughed and laughed. :)