2014

2014

Friday, March 09, 2012

Dear Miles,

Miles, you turn 8 today.  8 is a big deal.  It means I am no longer held accountable for your actions (okay, so that's not totally true, but close. . . ).  It means, though, that you are maturing and growing up and learning so much.  That is what is expected of an 8 year-old, I think.  And I think you are doing well - yes, you still have quite a bit more maturing, growing, and learning to do, but you are progressing very much.

In many ways, of course, you remain the same you.  A boy filled with questions.  A boy with wonderful creativity.  A boy confident to be who he is.  A boy that enjoys to pester (sigh) his siblings - except Lucy.  A boy filled with an unconquerable thirst for knowledge.  A boy also filled with incredibly annoying noises.  A boy loved by his family.

Your questions show the deep thinking processes that occurs in your big little brain.  If I was a better mom I would have written down many of the thoughts and questions you ask - on a daily basis.  Sorry.  If I can't answer your questions it is because 1.  I have not a clue or 2.  I can't even follow the intricate questions you ask.  Most questions are ones that I have never even thought of.  You never just read something or watch something - you constantly study the somethings.  Your brain must be very tired - yet always active and enthralled.

You remain incredibly creative and still love to create "stuff" - but rather than crafts the "stuff" you like to create now is more the edible type.  You want to bake and cook and stir and mix and make all the time.  You usually use recipes (a lot from your beloved Weird, Wild, and Wacky Stuff book) and the stuff you create is usually of the sugary type.  You also use and love my beloved cooking book from my childhood:  The Care Bear's Party Cookbook.  You have made some tasty things and some not-so-tasty things.

You are really sure of who you are and hardly deviate from that - you are confident in your style, so to say.  You are not swayed by peer pressure (for the most part) and do what you want to do because you want to do it.  Sometimes that is a totally frustrating trait - I'll ask you to do (or not do) something and you don't listen to me.  Not necessarily because you want to make me mad or to defy me, but simply because you know what you want to do and that's what you are going to.  You wear long, multi-colored striped socks to school and when I come and pick you up they are on the outside of your pants - your pants tucked in to them.  You don't care.  Your friends say "gross" when you bring cottage cheese in your lunch.  You don't care, you still bring it.  For hat-day you chose to wear an old handmade elf hat I made years ago.  Silly, definitely.  Miles, completely.  In some ways you have no style because you do whatever you want.  In other ways, that is your style.  There are so many quirky and goofy things that you do and Ben and I will just look at each other and say, "That is just soooo Miles."

Your pestering.  Your almost-constant pestering drives me CrAzY.  Yes, you were born with it.  Or at least it manifested in you when you were very young.  (I posted a video a few months ago showcasing your pesterings towards Jonas.)  I don't get it.  You can pester, pester, pester, drive me crazy, then do something nice and thoughtful.  (Notice, however, that the pestering usually outweighs the "nice thing" 3:1.)  It's almost like when you're bad, you're very, very bad and when you're good, you're very, very good.  But I wouldn't classify most of your antics as bad.  More like. . . super-duper. . . annoying.  Like technicalities.  You will correct Emmy on a technical error - which a 4 1/2 year just won't understand AT ALL - and drive her to the point of tears.  Okay, yes, fine, maybe you are right. . . but still give Emmy (and everyone else) a break, please.  Pleeeeeeeeeeease.  But, when you are good you can be very, very good.  Giving a sucker (one of your valentine suckers) to Emmy, playing with Jonas in a fun way, and - like today - making Lucy hoot and holler and giggle to her little heart's content (and my heart, too :).  So I guess we'll keep you around despite this unlovely trait of yours.

Not only do your thirst for knowledge - you soak up every last inch of it as well.  You literally remember things read in books - from a year or more ago.  I certainly don't.  You love reading and have become not only an excellent little reader, but a very fast one as well!  For example, one of the assessments at school tests your reading speed.  The goal for a 2nd grader at that point when you took it was 60 words per minute (WPM; and frequency words for 2nd graders).  Your score was 171.  Love it.  You love getting the reference books at the library - anything on dinosaurs to mummy and whatever else in between.  You thirst for knowledge is really so broad-based; it's wonderful.

Now on to another annoying trait. . . the noises that come out of your mouth.  Yelps, snorts, blurps, whatever.  Oh my it drives everyone in the house a little bonkers.  I think it's a phase.  I hope it's a phase.  I pray it's a very, very short phase.  I'm not sure how much we can all take - but it seems like you're wanting to find out!  Just yesterday you finished up your "good deed" card and got all 13 punhces - thus a prize for you.  You choose, guess what, a noise-maker thing!  A harmonica, more specifically.  It's cute.  And frankly, I would rather hear the noises of a harmonica over snorts and what-not.  You also asked us to buy a recorder.  Which, since that is so nostalgic to both Ben and myself - we probably will someday.  Maybe we can train you to make musical noises - noises with purpose and maybe even a tune!  If not, your basement will be your new room.  I kid you not.

In spite of and because of all these things, I love and treasure you.  Happy birthday Miles!

Love,
mom

No comments: