2014

2014

Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Slacker Weekend

So a few weeks ago I signed up for the Slacker 1/2 marathon.  After doing my race in May, I was inspired to do more.  I'd been doing longish run on Saturday mornings and so I thought I'd be able to do the half in just a few weeks.  The Slacker was over 4 hours away - a little long.  Most of the hotels were booked, but I was able to find a place that had 2 rooms - one with a door.  That sold me.  It was about 10 miles from the run, but that wasn't a big deal.

We got there Friday evening.  It was sort of a ghetto of a hotel (motel?).  It had no AC and reeked of smoke, but it had the two rooms and so that was good.

Apparently we are the type of parents that let our kids run amok and do things they are not allowed to do at our home.  Like jump on the beds:

 So fun.

 Whee!

 I love this shot of Emmy!

We went out to the ever-popular restaurant, Beau Jo's Pizza.  Ben had gone their a bunch of times as a youth and we had actually gone once when Miles was a teeny tiny baby.  Since it was in the town where we were staying, we thought it would be a fun place to go.
 The kids drinking root beer.  A little spicy for Emmy.  :)  Jonas drank about 1/2 of his and then apparently was too full to eat much of his dinner.  Nice.  Not.

 Of course Lucy had to join in the root beer fun.

 Miles' dinner:  spaghetti and meatballs in a bread bowl.  He ate at least 95% of it - including the bowl.  He is an impressive eater!

We strolled through the town after dinner:
 Two cute brothers (And, no, I didn't make them wear matching shirts.  They chose them on their own.)

And two cute sisters (I did pick out what they wore, but I didn't realize they matched.)

After we had gone and gotten my race bib and shirt, we headed back to our room.  The kids got to watch some movie I'd rented from the library and then it was bed-time.  After separating them from all being on the bed, they finally fell asleep.

Saturday morning was a first for the kids:  Saturday morning cartoons!
So exciting.

Then we headed up to my race starting point.  It was a little cool there (but hardly, really).
So the kids tried to get warm by doing some jumping-jacks.  Well all except Jonas.  He was pretty much Mr. Grump.

 Pre-race picture.

 And I'm off.  That first mile was my 2nd slowest mile because of the beginning crowd.  There were about 2,000 runners!

 While I was off and running the kids played at a park.  The town, Georgetown, had a delightful park that was tons of fun for the kids.  This is some crazy two-tiered tire-swing that you had to climb down in to.  Pretty cool.

 Lucy LOVES to hang.

 Alrighty, and here I am finishing up - with my fans cheering and running me on.  :)  It was fun to see them.  Especially since that last 1/2 mile was SO HARD.  Never had I wanted to walk in a race - except at mile 12.5 here.  My legs felt like lead.

 Here they are still running with me - what cuties.  Jonas is holding up his pants.  He needs to get a waist.

 And the post-race picture.  I felt okay here.  During the race I actually felt really great and had a really good finish for me.  My time was 2:01:03.  I wanted to finish under 2 hours because it was a "downhill" race and I thought maybe I could.  Well there was some definite climbs in this race that I didn't quite expect.  But I still felt good about my time - I even finished 379 out of about 1600 1/2 marathoners.

Well after this picture I pretty much started to decline in health!  Oh I felt bad.  I had to sit in the shade and when I did start walking around, I would have to stop and sit before I fainted.  I remembered being a little like this after my Moab 1/2.  Running in the hot sun is not good for me - I don't think I tolerate it very well.  I thought it would be a cooler run, but pretty much all of the 13.1 miles were in the hot sun.  Yuck.

I couldn't eat nor drink hardly anything - though my body needed it.  We walked back to the park and the kids played some more - while I sat in the car with the AC on.  I had started feeling less faint, but then I was just so nauseous and sick to my stomach.  I'm not sure if it was just a combo of the heat, the sun, the elevation (running at 10,000 feet), and the exertion that did this - or if I had some type of stomach ache unrelated to the race (since I'm still feeling not-so-great, but not-as-bad, today. . .)?  Who knows, but it sure soured my run and the day.  Boohoo.

We stopped at Grand Junction on the way home so the kids could enjoy the splash pad.  So fun for the kids.

 Miles standing on a fountain.  Emmy whacking the water.

 A wet and happy Jonas.

 Lucy wouldn't play in it.  Ben helped her a bit - but she only just barely touched the water a couple of times.  Silly girl!

We went across the street afterwards for some ice cream.  I had really only had a luna bar, a popsicle, and had choked down about 1/2 a cup of chocolate milk for the day and, though I still wasn't feeling grand, I did have some ice cream.  I had to choke it down a bit, too, but was starting to feel a little bit better.

So there was the weekend.  Pretty fun.  Pretty great race.  Pretty lame post-race.

4 comments:

Niederfam said...

YAY you. That's awesome. So fun, well except at mile 12.5........no slacker race AT ALL.

As for your comment/question about Duck Dynasty, it's a reality TV show on AE (I think) all about these "rednecks" from LA who made it BIG with a duck calling "tool" anyway....... it's redneck antics at it's finest and Mitt, Major and daddy all get a pretty BIG kick out of it!

Elder James and Sister Dixie Galbraith said...

Congratulations on the accomplishment of finishing the 1/2 marathon!!! We remember when you finished the Logan marathon in 4:10, and we're equally proud of you for having done so well in this race, too. We hope you're feeling better now. It looks like the whole family had a good time over the weekend, too. Congratulations, Emily, on your accomplishment (s).
Mom & Dad

erinmalia said...

you got a comment from mom and dad! lucky you. and awesome on the race. to sign up for it only a couple of weeks and still pull it off in two hours is awesome. what's the next one? the one in midway with me?!

rebecca said...

Congrats on a great finish! Running in the heat is the worst! It's worse than hills. I'm sure if you had cool weather, you would have come in under 2 hours. That's my goal for someday.

I love that the kids ran the end with you! Best cheering section ever!