2014

2014

Friday, June 08, 2012

Summer Happenings

Well we've all survived our first couple weeks of summer.  I think it's been pretty darn good so far.  But the temperature is rising and I just don't think that's a good thing. . . Anyways, this is just a little update of what we are up to.

So every morning - Monday through Friday - the kids work on some worksheets.  We bought these worksheet books at Sam's Club and I'm so loving them.  I wanted to have something for the kids and thought I would have to find and print up sheets every night.  But now I just rip out some pages, staple them together, and then the kids work on their packets.  They actually like them.  But we'll see what they think of them in a few more weeks.  They spend like 20+ minutes on them.  It's pretty amazing.

We created Summer Merit Badges for this year.  I was worried we weren't going to be able to work on anything because we have just been so busy with other stuff so far.  But the summer is young and so we'll see what happens.  The boys are involved in our rec district's "Summer Adventure Day Camp" for kids 6-10.  They are both really enjoying it - even the at-first reluctant Jonas.  They go Monday - Thursday from 1-4, all of the month of June.  Each week is a different theme:  Sports week, Nature, Mystery/Spy, and Water.  So far they have played dodgeball, kickball, lacrosse, basketball, water-balloon tag, etc., as well as have made crafts, and get to eat sugary snacks each day.  Sounds pretty grand to me.  Jonas said some boys were mean to him the first day, but has since made some friends and wants to style his hair like theirs - bangs spiked up, is what he tells me.  We'll see about that. . .

Anyways, back to the merit badges.  So this morning we had nothing going on (!) and so I thought we should work on one.  We decided to go to the HS track and work on our Health and Exercise badge.  One of the requirements is for the kids to run 1 mile (Emmy), 1.5 miles (Jonas), or 2 miles (Miles) three different times.  When I say run, I meant run/walk.  For Jonas that will mean just walk.  So I encouraged the kids to have a "warm-up" walk their first lap and then whatever after that.  I told Miles I thought he could walk/run/walk/run it.  So Miles started and walked his first lap, ran his next 2 laps, walked his 4th lap, and then ran his 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th lap.  He rocked!  I was so happy about it - and, yes, surprised.  Miles is not athletic per se, but he is very task-oriented and driven when he wants to be.  He ended up doing 3 miles - running 2 1/2 of them.

Jonas pretty much walked all of his laps - a little grudgingly, too.  He's not a runner and cannot push himself.  I could hardly push him to walk at a fast pace.  But he did his 6 laps and I was proud of him, too.  Emmy was sure fun to watch - she can have some fast running-spurts.  So cute!  She ended up doing 5 laps just because I wasn't there on her 4th and so I think she thought she had to go again.  But she didn't complain once.  In fact, she finished her 5th lap before Jonas had done 5 laps. . . :)

Lucy played around.  When Emmy finished that freed me up a little more and I was able to run laps with Miles.  He told me a few times, "I like running with you."  Awwww. . .  And I walked a couple with Jonas, too.  It was a fun morning.

We have been having lots of smoothie-pops, as I'll call them.  I'll sometimes make a smoothie for the kids' lunch and then save the leftovers as popsicles.  What a delicious snack.  Ben and I had actually made this smoothie last Saturday and I had made the leftovers into popsicles.  It was the perfect treat for their post-run/walk.

Anyways, that's more than I thought I'd write.  So I better just end it.  Of course I'll add some pictures, though:

 Busy at work. . .

 Jonas, the short-haired boy.  And big eyes.  And adorable.

 Lucy is just too cute, I can't help myself. . .

 Lucy does her "work" in the mornings, too.  What talent - coloring with 2 crayons in one hand!

Miles enjoying his very much earned popsicle.  :)  What a boy!

4 comments:

erinmalia said...

do ou have a popsicle mold? i think i need one.

emily said...

just one smallish one - makes 4 popsicles, though, and that always seems to be just the amount of leftover smoothie. . .

courtney said...

i want to go to summer adventure camp! sounds pretty great. and lucy. lucy, lucy, lucy. she is just so darn cute!

Emily said...

You truly are such a great mom!! I love your summer merit badges and when Elise is old enough to do them I'm definitely copying you! Way to go :) Looks like fun...minus the running party!