2014

2014

Saturday, January 12, 2013

Emmy in Stitches . . .

Well with a combined "score" (or age) of 22 years among our children, this being our first child with stitches ins't too bad.  Sad that it was Emmy, though . . .

So we had just gotten the boys home from school and Ben came home at the same time.  Ben and Miles just went out on the rink in their shoes and were hitting the puck around for a sec.  Emmy came out, too, and was just standing there in her boots and then boom!  She fell.  And the biggest culprit was that her hands were in her pocket and thus she was not able to brace her fall at all.  So she fell directly on her chin and started screaming.  Ben got her inside and noticed that her chin was quite split and deep.  He was pretty sure she'd need stitches.

So I took Emmy to the ER.  She was really nervous about the idea of getting stitches, but I kind of told her all that would happen in the ER.  By the time the doc came in she agreed that stitches were necessary - especially for cosmetic reasons (being on her face and all).  I had to put some numbing cream on her wound and then the doc came in and placed drapes all over her face - leaving only the wound spot opened (I would have hated having the drapes all over me; so suffocating!).  Three stitches later and a completely perfect patient, we were done!

I was super surprised to notice, while Emmy was going to the bathroom on our way out, that I had change in my purse.  So Emmy was able to choose a treat from the vending machine - a rice krispie treat (ahhhh, she's so my girl!).

When we got back Emmy wanted to go ice-skating!  So that's good.  She shared her treat with all the kids (including Miles' friend).  She's pretty great.





5 comments:

Emily said...

Oh no!! Poor Emmy :( I've had stitches a few times and I really only remember the awesome stickers and things I got in the end. Glad she wanted to go ice skating at home, what a trooper!

erinmalia said...

oh my! you're a real parent now (because stitches initiates you). haha. send our love to rhett's third best friend!

Angie Hawkes said...

What a tough chick! Stitches often make memorable stories, or so I've heard.

Nicole said...

Poor thing!! But it's in a good spot if she had to have them. Darn it! What a brave girl though!

courtney said...

what a beauty. she looks so grown-up to me!