2014

2014

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Sleep-Out

All week last week the boys were busy digging holes and trenches in our garden spot.  They loved it.  As soon as they were home from school, they went out there and dug until we made them come in.  On Friday the boys (and thus the girls) were pleading and begging for the chance to sleep outside in their trenches.  Ben and I thought that it would be fine, but we told them we weren't going to do it with them.  They were on their own.  That did not deter them.  Emmy was bummed she wasn't allowed (for various reasons) and Lucy was a little too, but they got over it quickly and fell asleep in their soft, warm beds.

The boys took some time in getting things ready:  their sleeping bags, flashlights that had working batteries, and the such.  When we went out to check on them once, Jonas started asking us about raccoons, foxes, and wolves.  I was sure they'd be in soon.

But they weren't.  In fact, by about 9:30-10ish, they were sound asleep.  Darn it!  One reason I let them do it was because I didn't think they'd actually do it!  I was a little worried, but Ben seemed okay and so that was that . . . until Ben and I were upstairs getting ourselves to bed.   There was just some random car that parked right alongside our house/fence and a bunch of teenagers hopped out - with flashlights.  Weird.  But then Ben just assumed they were friends of our neighbors who have teenagers.  But, no, they just walked past our neighbor's home and went who knows where for who knows what reasons.  Then a strange man walked down the street.  Then I got nervous.  Yes, it was a little silly b/c no one could see 2 boys sleeping in our backyard, but I just didn't want some commotion to happen and it to waken/scare our kids, etc.  So, to make this short:  Ben slept (or did not sleep) outside on the lawn (not in the trenches - they were not big enough).

I still credit the boys for doing it on their own since they didn't even know Ben was there until they awoke.  It was a cold night - reaching freezing point.  I don't know how they did it.  But I think it was pretty neat and Ben and I were both proud of them.
Crazy boys.  Fun brothers.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Super impressed that they dug the trenches and slept in them on a cold night! And kudos to Ben- I wouldn't have wanted to join them!

erinmalia said...

yeah! that is so cool. i'm not sure chuck would have let our boys be out alone either. we don't have a full privacy fence, however.

Niederfam said...

I would have been a WRECK too, glad "dad'" can still be a protector, while giving them their independence.

Way to go boys..........TOUCH cookies!!!

Niederfam said...

I would have been a WRECK too, glad "dad'" can still be a protector, while giving them their independence.

Way to go boys..........TOUCH cookies!!!

Nicole said...

boys will be boys I guess, right?! Poor Ben, being a good dad and giving up a night's sleep.

courtney said...

ok, i love that your boys have each other and your girls have each other! i'm a bit jealous. my kids love each other, too - but i wonder if sam will miss out not having a brother and if ada will miss out not having a sister? these are the kinds of things that keep me up at night. :)