2014

2014

Thursday, May 16, 2013

A long P.S. that got to be its own post

P.S.  I'm going against everything I have believed in and might (might, not 100% sure yet) actually sign Emmy up for all-day Kindergarten next year - instead of 1/2 day, which is where she is for the moment.  Actually, this was not something I was ever totally against.  Just totally against it for my boys.  But Emmy.  I feel differently.  One, she's older.  She could have been starting 1st grade next year.  Two, she's bored being at home all day long, especially in the afternoons.  I'm not that exciting, I guess!  I do spend some time just with her - on "school" stuff, playing, etc.  But then I want/need time to do other things.  So then she's bored and complaining and moaning and groaning.  Three, while she is smart, I also recognize and admit that she doesn't have the skills her brothers had when they entered kindergarten (trust me, though, I'm not worried about that, it's just something I am aware of), nor does she catch on as quickly.  So maybe a whole day would be better for her?  Fourth, she wants to go all day.  She was bummed when I told her I signed her up for 1/2-day.  She's been walking to school with us for the past four years and is ready for it . . . or at least thinks she is.  This is hard for me as I have been opposed to full-day ever since Miles was almost forced in to it (luckily they added a 1/2-day class about 2 weeks before he started school).  But, again, mainly opposed to it for my family, and even more specifically, my boys.  Each child and each home is different.  That is why I hope there always remains on option of full-day versus 1/2-day.  Though I highly doubt it . . . especially when my sister tells me her crazy state of Maryland might mandate a year of preschool before kids enter Kindergarten.  Insanity, is how I feel about that.  Anyways, this P.S. is so super long.  It should be its own post . . . I think I'll make it its own post . . .

5 comments:

erinmalia said...

whoa. this is huge! i have never heard such thoughts from you. whatever your decision, it'll be the right and best one emmy. but can you imagine only have lucy all day?! wouldn't that be awesome?! you'd regain naptime! hooray! but again, don't let me sway you. :) also, you'd only have to take two round-trips to the school, not three. again, i don't care what you do! but i love the idea of all day for my own kids-drive-me-crazy sake.

and yes, i also think mandated preschool is insanity.

Angie Hawkes said...

I'm jealous that you have a choice.

rebecca said...

I had this same self-debate over preschool for Nathan. I put Kylie in preschool when she was THREE without much thought, just did it because everyone did it. At some point I realized that there was no reason for my three-year olds to go to school, I want them home with me. (I don't exactly regret it, it was fine, but now I wonder what my 2005 self was thinking!) So the other kids did not go to preschool. But then with Nathan, he had the opportunity to go to 3 hours of preschool every day for free . . . in the end I decided to send him for the same reasons you mentioned. He was ready (almost made the cut-off for kindergarten, though he could not have handled full day K this year) and he is bored at home with just me when I have to do my "stuff". I've been really happy that I sent him. It's been good for him and for me. :)

Longest comment on a long P.S.

courtney said...

mandatory preschool? pure craziness. i wish we had the full/half option for kindergarten, too. that is why we went with homeschool this year, (which definitely has its own set of benefits and drawbacks.) sounds like you are figuring out what is best for emmy! that is what matters. :)

Nicole said...

That is very cool indeed that you have a choice! I'm guessing Molly would be the same as Emmy--would want to go all day! Good luck with your decision!