2014

2014

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

GOTR

GOTR = Girls on the Run

I just finished up my second season of GOTR.  It was a lot of fun.  We had a really great group of young girls (ages 3rd - 5th grades) that were just sweet, nice, and motivated - for the most part (we had like a 2-week slump with our girls when they were just blah  :).

We had four coaches and I totally enjoyed and liked them all - they were so great and made it great, too.  They were fun to be around.

We met every Tuesday and Thursday from right after school - 4:30.  We did a lesson with some warm-up activities and such.  Then we'd run a bit.  The GOTR season ends with a 5K - ours was just held this past Saturday in Grand Junction.  Some girls love the running part of it.  For others, it's the part they like least about GOTR.  :)

The 5k is a neat experience for the girls - and their family.  It's fun to see the families supporting the girls.  It's a huge race with hundreds and hundreds of girls running (around 1,500 I just found out) - girls, plus family/friends that want to join in, too.  I had to take all my kids this year because of a temple trip that Ben needed to attend.  It was fine having them with me - I ran with the girls in a double-jogger I had borrowed, while the boys hung out with another coach's husband and his boys.  It worked out great that way.  But some day I would love to be able to go up on my own (or Ben coming up and watching the kids), so I could focus a little more on just the girls.  The GOTR girls, not my girls.  :)

I was impressed with a lot of these girls - the fast ones and the slower ones.

 Here we are at the 5k, coming close to the finish.  I ran/walked the race with Kara.  She's one of Miles' best-friends.  Go Kara!

 The four coaches:  Coach Dahl (a kindergarten teacher at Northside), Coach Laura (a mom of 4, 2 of which are GOTR girls), me, and Coach Laurie (mom of 3, 1 "official" GOTR, 1 unofficial :).  What great ladies.  Oh the headbands (that Coach Dahl and Laura are sporting) were little surprises we got for the girls on race day.  It was the Best Idea ever as it was so easy to spot our girls!  We'll be doing it every year I'm pretty sure . . .


I'm sure this was taken on a Tuesday.  Every Tuesday (except the one that was a service project which we did inside . . .) was really crummy weather - freezing, snowing, raining, windy, you name it, we had it on Tuesday.  Even our "End of Season Celebration" that happened today (a Tuesday) was rained-out and so we had to do it in Coach Dahl's classroom.  A perfectly less-than-perfect ending to our Season.

P.S.  I got a super-cute hoodie at the 5k - another bonus of volunteering.  :)

P.P.S.  I do have some group shots but felt like I shouldn't post it without getting permission from each parent.  And I'm just not going to do that.  So just trust me, they were a darling group of girls.

6 comments:

erinmalia said...

i am so excited that our elem school does this! you've inspired me to look into it right now. bye.

Emily said...

How fun! That is a really cool program that the school does- gets them interested in exercising early on!

Niederfam said...

AWESOME.....I haven't ever heard of that, I'm totally going to have to look into it......;) to "earn" a hoodie of course. ;)

courtney said...

GOTR sounds like so much fun! what a great way to get involved. they are lucky to have you as a coach!

Nicole said...

that is so cool! good for you guys!

rebecca said...

This is so cool! What a great way to "give back" while doing something you love. I would be interested in doing something like this, if I could get my girls to run. :)