2014

2014

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Marvelous Midway

I took my kids and headed out to Midway last Wednesday.  We stayed until Monday so we could make it home for Jonas' first baseball game.  We did a lot of fun things:

Like the slip 'n slide.  Even though Miles broke it, it still worked out okay as we just set the hose directly on the slide (probably like in the old-fashioned days when I did it!).


I know my parents' house is cold (due to my dad), but I didn't remember it being this cold.  It was cold:
Brrrrrrr.

So my mom ran to the thrift store and got some cute hoodies for my girls and some long-sleeve shirts for my boys.  I borrowed my mom's sweat-shirt.  :)

We got to go to "The Store" and get a triple-scoop of ice cream for $.99.  Awesome.  Jonas tried root-beer!

We even went to the Utah's high schools' Rodeo state finals.  I thought it was pretty great and I think the kids enjoyed it, too.  My dad said he liked it as well.

I'm sure the kids especially liked their raspberry funnel cakes afterwards!

We played a lot in the driveway - on roller-skates, roller-blades, and the roller-shoe thingys.  Plus bikes, etc.  The boys went on a bike ride by themselves, too.

Eating a snack on the back deck.

On Saturday we went on a hike (my dad stayed home) to Stuart Falls in the Provo Canyon.  It was a pretty great hike and super good for kids, too.  A 4-mile round-trip hike just takes sooooo much longer with kids; I keep forgetting that.
Jonas took this picture and then requested a "silly one:"

Awesome.

As you can see, it's a popular hike!  And I didn't even get a picture of the falls - only the resulting "cascades" below it.  Oh well, go and see it for yourself.  :)

I did hold Lucy for way more than half of it, but if I had all the time in the world, she could have hiked most of it on her own.  She's pretty cute!

Emmy took this picture and she kind of didn't get it quite right.  Oh well.  The boys started playing this game on the hike back down:  they would run way ahead of us girls and then stop and hide at a spot.  They would place their hats on the trail near their hiding spot.  It was great and definitely kept them entertained and moving!  Emmy joined them for the last half and had fun.  She had been complaining a bit, but ran just as fast as the boys when she joined up with them.  The boys (and later Emmy) were called Forest Gnomes.  Very cool.

I didn't get a single picture of my dad driving around the kids in his Polaris Ranger thingy.  The boys went on a few good, long rides and enjoyed it.  But I'm still pretty sure my dad enjoys it the most!  He loves it.

But swimming was "the best" as Jonas just told me.  I took the kids sometimes twice a day.  And I had to split them up - usually it was the boys and then the girls.  The last day I took the 3 oldest kids (in the morning and in the evening) and then just Lucy once.  That was super fun and nice just going with Lucy.
Swimmers - kind of!  So my boys have made huge improvements - for them, at least!  They now actually go under the water, like a lot!  It seems like they are now under the water just as much as they are above it.  Which is so huge for them.  As for swimming?  Jonas can move around under the water - kind of swimming.  He still holds his nose plugged with his fingers 9 out of 10 times.  But he would sometimes go under without holding his nose and that's pretty big.  Miles is great at breathing out and holding his breath, rather than his nose.  He can't really even sort-of swim, but I think he'll get there.  They would dive for cars and do lots and lots of cannon-balls:

So fun.

It was a great trip - only soured by the fact that Ben wasn't with us.

Hopefully we can get back up there again this summer - all of us!

6 comments:

Emily said...

Don't you just love Utah?! Midway is especially beautiful. Funny about it being so cold-looks like you all had a great time.

It's a good thing Ben didn't go- someone needed to feed the rodents ;)

Nicole said...

So fun! You are brave to make the trip as the only adult! But I guess it's because you have great kids!

Niederfam said...

SO great. I might have to take MY kids to visit your parents!!! ;) What FUN. You are a trooper to pack that all in minus Ben. GO you!!!!

Meg said...

Fun fun! When did your parents get back? I can't believe they are done with their mission already!

erinmalia said...

so fun. that hike was super crowded. wow. it's what i'd expect in maryland!

courtney said...

looks like a great trip! i'm going to remember the forest gnome game for our next family hike. GENIUS.