2014

2014

Monday, October 14, 2013

A Cub Scout field trip

Last Saturday we went on a field trip with our Cub Scout pack - plus some siblings.  One requirement that some of the boys have is to visit a "nature center."  So we decided to go and check out the Butterfly Garden up at Grand Junction.  The other leader had been years ago and brought it up.  She said how it was just opened and there were like 2 butterflies then.  We laughed . . .

Well we had maybe 6-8 butterflies.  Seriously, kind of a joke!  I had gotten online, seen some cool pictures, and even read "the butterflies have returned."  I didn't really know what that meant, but I assumed they were well-stocked.  Wrong.  I had even called ahead during the week to let them know that I was going to be bringing up a Cub Scout group.  Funny.  The place had a "butterfly garden," a "rainforest" section (that had 2 tiny turtles, but lots of cool plants - including a chocolate-smelling orchid), and then an outside cactus area.  Oh, it also had a gift shop.  A big attraction.  All sorts of boys were asking me to buy them stuff . . . and not just my own!  :)

Anyhow, I think they still had fun - even the ones that claimed it wasn't fun. :)  It's just exciting to go out of town with their friends, I think.  So it was still a good trip, just not quite what we had hoped or expected.  Here are just a few pictures:

 The boys trying to get the butterflies to land on them.  None were successful.  :)

 Jonas smelling the chocolate orchid.  Crazy plant!

 Miles . . . standing on some rocks .  . .

They had some section outside by the cactus garden.  It was of old stuff - like all 100 years old or something.  Like wagons, tractors, etc.  I think this train is a compilation of stuff 100 years old.  The boys loved it.  But we had to kick them off because they were getting a little too rough with it . . . my kids especially.

Go Cub Scouts!  :)

3 comments:

erinmalia said...

dude. you should have brought them out here. our butterfly exhibit is incredible. so incredible it freaks me out because i'm afraid they're going to land on me (and probably they do, but i just don't notice, because, well, they're butterflies). next time!

Angie Hawkes said...

that place looks really cool. glad you got to go!

courtney said...

6-8? lame! but the rest of the place does sound pretty cool. we have lots of butterflies migrate through here in july/aug. come visit!