2014

2014

Monday, December 23, 2013

Saturday's Christmas happenings . . .

I had checked out on Friday evening when "Santa's workshop" was to be open downtown and saw that Santa was to be in from 11-2.  So I told the kids about going - which I then later regretted as I didn't want to really take them anymore.  But I'm glad we did end up going.  Emmy told me that she was going to ask Santa what our elf's name is and if he got it right then she would know that he was the real Santa.  Oh boy.  Jonas also said the same thing.

So, just to make sure, you know, that Santa got it right - I mean he has millions of elves - I wrote a little note that said something to the effect of, "If my little girl asks you what our elf's name is, please say 'Eljin.'"  So as we were standing in line I kept mouthing to Ben, "How are we going to do this!?"  He came up with a brilliant idea - he'd ask the man in front of us to give our note to Santa.  (Each family goes in this little cabin when it's their turn - everyone else is kept out of doors.)  So I took the kids over to the fire-pit while Ben did his job.  We all came back and we chatted for a bit with the man in front of us (turned out the man in front of us is a member in the Cimmaron ward . . . :).

So it was our turn and we went in.  The kids sat on laps (Lucy did refuse to sit on Santa's lap, but agreed to Mrs. Claus' lap).  We were chatting and Emmy just kind of mumbled, "So what's our elf's name?"  Frankly, I don't think Santa even heard.  But Mrs. Claus said something like, "I think his name is Eljin."  It.  Was.  Perfect.  The kids were stunned and Jonas later remarked that he knew this was indeed the real Santa.  It was quite convincing if I say so myself . . .

So fun.  I can't remember what they all told Santa they wanted, but I think it was something like this:  Lucy - a doll perhaps?  Emmy - a motorcycle.  ?!  (A toy one.)  Jonas - a bird like Miles'.  And Miles - a record-player.

That evening we slept under/by the tree.  We watched "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and then the kids got cozy in the sleeping bags.  I decided to sleep on the hide-a-bed and begged Ben to join me.  :)  He did.  It was a pretty fun evening, especially once the kids got settled down and fell-asleep, which didn't take long since it was late . . .


4 comments:

erinmalia said...

okay. awesome about the note. BUT what is emmy wearing?!

emily said...

her snow bibs. :)

erinmalia said...

hahaha. love it.

courtney said...

i love that you sleep under the christmas tree! we might have to try that...next year?