2014

2014

Tuesday, January 07, 2014

Our Post-Christmas Break

It is always nice to be home for Christmas Day, but it is also so nice to get away afterwards.  I think it worked out perfectly this year:  home the first part of the holiday break and then away for the end.  We had a really super time at my parents' home and had the extra bonus of having Derek, Renee, and Josten there for some of it, too.

We headed out on Wednesday morning - bright and early.  We made good time and so had a half day ahead of us.  We got my dad a remote-control helicopter for Christmas - well, it was pretty late so I guess we can call it a New Year's Day gift.  Ben got himself one as well.  :)  The boys were really excited to have Grandpa try to fly his and so we headed to the basement for some flying lessons.  My dad definitely still knows a lot about helicopters and it was fun to hear him talk about them.

 This was one of his first take-offs.  He got better.  :)

After flying, we went just down the road for some sledding.  It was a small hill - yet made Ben and I a little nervous since it was a little steep and totally packed snow.  But it turned out great and the kids had a blast - except when they didn't (as in, when they biffed it pretty good!).

There was a little jump there and Jonas and Emmy loved it.  Miles would do it, but not as often as the other two.  It was their favorite (except when it wasn't . . . :)
 One of my favorite pictures ever of Emmy.  I sure lucked out with this shot!

 Go, go, Jonas!

 Miles loved the "seal-sled," as we called it.  Lots of riding on his stomach - made me slightly queasy just watching him!  But he loved it.

 Lucy and Ben had some fun, too!

 We didn't have to start Lucy very far up - the packed snow made it for easy sliding!  Lucy loved it as you can see.

On Thursday morning - after a fun run (me) and bike ride (Ben) together - we all headed over to the Club House for some fly-time.  We thought the basketball court would be a good place to fly the helicopters.  Luckily there were some kids in there and so we were "forced" to stay upstairs in the lobby - which turned out to be a better spot, really.  More space and just as high ceilings.
 Ben loves flying his copter!

 My dad had already improved from the first day!  (Can you spot the helicopter!?)

The boys had fun flying, too, of course.

While we were charging them all for another flight, we played various games:  ping pong (my mom was pretty much the champion, even beating out Ben!), foosball, pool - and video games.  There are a couple of arcade games there - for free - and my boys were pretty much crazy about them!

Then we came up to fly again and Miles got enraptured by the exercise room.  He started walking on the treadmill and came up with a goal:  to walk one mile.
 The cute walker.

 Oh, he is so handsome.

 And one mile he did.  :)  He wanted me to take a picture of it, of course.  Funny kid.  He really did like it, though.

We came back, got lunch, then headed out for some ice-skating!  Midway has an awesome rink and we had a fabulous time.  My parents came and watched for at least half of the time we were there.  I think the kids were excited to show my parents that they had gotten a lot better since the last time they skated there!

 The girls.  No, I don't know what Emmy is doing with her legs.

 The boys.

 Lucy stuck with us for pretty much the whole time!  At one point she got her boots on, but then quickly asked for her skates to be put back on.  She finally even did some "skating" on her own - not really skating, but at least sliding on her skates on the ice.

 But she also really loved just sitting on the rink and eating away at the shaved ice.  Unflavored of course.  Silly, cute girl.

 But it made her tired and within minutes of riding back in "Grandpa's Toy," Lucy had fallen fast asleep.  I carried her in, held her for a bit, then had Ben set her down on the floor.  She stayed asleep and Ben and I headed out to the thrift store in town (well, in Heber, but close enough).

 One of the many, many purchases I made there (hey, when clothing costs $2, it's hard to say no . . .):  hockey jerseys for the boys!  So love!  I was so super excited - so were they, but I think I was more so.  :)

On Friday our family went down to Provo to Provo's "Beach Resort."  It's just this huge place.  We took our kids to the indoor play-place and they loved it.  They played for a bit, we ate our sack lunches, we let the kids each play some arcade games, let the girls ride the carousel,

 and then played some more.  Then we headed over to Provo's "dollar theater" and saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs: 2.  It was in 3-D and I think the kids really enjoyed it.  Me - so-so.

We came back and had dinner.  Then Ben and I and the 2 boys headed out for some night ice-skating.  It was so super great.  We all loved it and had a lot of fun.  The girls stayed home and grandma played with them and then read to them and put them to bed.

By the time we got back from ice-skating, Derek and Renee and Josten had arrived (they had come to my parents' home a week earlier and then headed south to spend some time in St. George).  We had a fun visit that night with them.  I think they are pretty fantastic, if I do say so myself.

On Saturday morning the boys headed over to the Club House with Renee and Josten.  Josten is 13 and my boys just think he's coooool.  When they got back we had some lunch and then headed to the Ice Castles - which is right by the skating rink.  It's pretty impressive:
 That is a shot looking up as we entered in to the "castle."

 Miles, Ben, Lucy, Emmy, Jonas, Renee, and Josten.  It's a very impressive sight and the pictures, of course, don't do it justice.  Also, in the next month or so, it's just going to get bigger and bigger!  Amazing.

 So cool!

 It's like we're actually in the movie Frozen.  :)

 Crazy cool.

Then we headed to another hill for some more sledding.  This sledding trip consisted of a lot of bum-sledding as well.  Headed up by Ben.
 Lucy having fun!

 Miles going hands-free!

We got back and then got ready to go to SLC to Benihana's.  I had mentioned going there to my dad earlier (way before Christmas even) and then didn't say anymore because I felt bad at how much it would cost for him to pay for everyone (and pay for everyone he would!).  But, of course, he had remembered and made reservations for everyone on Saturday.  I was so excited - it had been a while since I had gone!
 Of course our chef was fun to watch!

These cute girls enjoyed the show and the food, too!

 We couldn't all fit at one table - and so here was our table.  I was super impressed with how well my girls ate.  They ate practically everything!  Except for the fried rice.  :)

Here is Renee, Josten, and Derek at their table.  Isn't Renee beautiful?  I think so!  The other two are pretty handsome, too.  :)

It was a fun evening and a fun experience to have with our kids.

Sunday was NOT a normal Sunday as Ben was home for all of it - wahoo!  Lucy went to primary and Sunbeams and did awesome and, per the Primary President's report (who happens to be my mom), was one of very few Sunbeams who weren't bawling.  Ha.  :)  Lucy was excited and asked me afterwords, "Do I get to do that [go to primary/Sunbeams] for always?"  :)

Renee made us a delicious dinner of salmon - silver and pink, I think.  That she had caught herself.  It was really yummy - as was the rest of the dinner.  Including Miles' polenta-cups he made (and talked and talked and talked about).

We watched some home-videos that evening, too.  Ben was thrilled to have everyone watch one of my finest moments - the time where Erin and I had gone down on a tube (sledding) and I told her it was her turn to take it back up the hill.  Erin denied it was her turn.  So I just kicked the tube at her and ran up the hill.  I would like to hope I've matured since then, but I'm not so sure. . . :)

Then we pretty much just got up, I ran, packed up, and left on Monday morning.

It was just a really great time!  The only thing it was missing was the Hubands.  Otherwise it was practically perfect!

5 comments:

erinmalia said...

ahhhh! so many comments. first, send that video to me NOW. i want it. well, i'll get dad on that task since it's probably still in midway.

awesome gift for dad. it's perfect!

those pics of the crew sledding are priceless, emmy's obviously.

mom and dad told me that the kids were really good skaters! but of course, said i.

those jerseys are perfect. i love that they're park city and that they actually fit!

is there no beach at the beach resort?

i'm super jealous of the time you got to spend with derek, renee, and josten.

and NO. you have not matured. at all. not one bit in 30 years.

emily said...

maturing is so over-rated anyways.

there are 1001 things at that "beach." there is a surfing place where you can actually . . . surf. some cabanas. so kind of beachy.

courtney said...

sounds like a great trip! our neighbor has one of those helicopters and the kids LOVE to watch him fly it. the sledding pictures are amazing as are the ice castle pics!

Nicole said...

So fun! I loved the pics of your kids sledding. Really, the pics are perfect! Nice timing :)

Fun, fun, fun with your parents. I saw instagram pics of people at those ice castles! So cool you guys got to go! We will have to check it out sometime!

Niederfam said...

LOVE the 2 "in flight" pics of the kiddos skiing!!! Awesome shots…..

Never heard of Provo's "beach" we may need to check it out…….

I am DYING to take my "Frozen" obsessed daughter to see the castles……REALLY cool…….

YAY for great X-mas presents for the parents…..Looks like your dad still has it!!!