2014

2014

Monday, March 09, 2015

I now have an 11-year old

Daylight savings = kids waking up later, right?!  Wrong if that child has a birthday in your house and can't sleep and wakes up all the other kids . . . Ugh.  Seriously they were all up at like 5am their body time.  Oh well, let the party begin . . . (actually, I had Ben go in and tell everyone to be quiet and keep the lights off!)
 Ben and I made this plaque for Miles - it's his Cub Scout earnings and a recognition of his Arrow of Light.  I really love how it turned out.  Oh, and if the slope-y bottom part (his belt loops) is bothering you, don't worry, it bothered us too.  Ben is going to have it supported with a wooden dowel instead.

 Miles got to open a couple of gifts in the morning, as tradition goes.  He opened a headlamp (for his scouting adventures, etc.) and then I let him open a book.  He knew what the book was because last week he checked out a book from the school's library and it was the exact book I had bought him.  I told him in a sort-of round-about way to not start reading it for a bit . . .  and he got it.  :)

 Lucy was my cake-making helper.  :)

Miles was given an opportunity to go skiing on his birthday (with the whole family), but wanted to go to school instead - he didn't want to miss it.  Same with Jonas.  What weird kids I have!  Ben was off today and was able to take Miles out for some Chinese buffet.  It was a fun outing for the two of them.

After school the kids came home and we had Frobscottle for snack - as requested by Miles, as found in his Roald Dahl cookbook.  It was an interesting drink full of kiwis, lime juice, raspberry yogurt and cream soda.

Then Miles opened his gifts.

 I took this picture for genealogy's sake.  This is the case that held the pocketknife that my grandfather (Miles' great-grandfather and my dad's dad) had bequeathed to Miles when Miles was just barely over 1-month old.  Miles was my grandfather's first great-grandson.  It's a "got-everything" sort of pocketknife.  Miles has known about this knife for quite a while and would periodically ask me, "Can I go look at my knife?!"  Why did my grandfather have me give it to him on his 11th birthday?  Because he (Grandpa Galbraith/Marlin) was smart and knew that's when Miles would start Boy Scouts.

 This was Miles' big present from us - he picked it out and knew it was pretty much all we were going to give him.  A huge Lego RV set.  Fun, fun!  (Yes, Emmy, you are adorable.)

 He also got this Lego Minecraft set - partly from his own money and some from his grandparents' money.  He - and Jonas - were pretty in to it.

His choice for dinner was elk pasties.  We haven't had that in a long time and they were yummy.

Later we watched an Ice Age movie.  Funny stuff - it's just what Miles loves.  :)

 Miles requested this cake - a campfire cake.  So easy and fun.  :)

My friend, when telling her about his cake, told Miles we should roast marshmallows over it.  So we did!

Happy birthday Miles!

2 comments:

erinmalia said...

it's all so awesome! that vw bus is great. and no, the curving part on the plaque didn't bother me a bit, which totally surprises me. happy 11 miles!

oh, it was fun to see grandpa's handwriting. :)

Nicole said...

wow, 11! So fun. And scrolling, down, I totally recognized grandpa's handwriting! I better...I transcribed most of his handwritten pages to the computer for his history ;)