2014

2014

Tuesday, August 04, 2015

Mom is Home Alone


Ben and the kids left on Saturday morning to Littleton.  Emmy had another appointment at Children's Hospital this afternoon and Ben had gotten the time off to take her.  I had to watch Wren today - or else I might have caved in at the last moment and have gone with them.  But I'm glad I stayed home.  It was really good to just be alone for a few days!  The last time Ben took the kids I was pregnant with Lucy . . . so it's been awhile.  But I think we should make it a more regular tradition . . . :)

And it's not like I did anything amazingly "fun" on my "time-off.".  I did dream of hiking like all day long - but the timing wasn't quite right this year.  Here was what I posted on FB yesterday morning:

I've been Home Alone for the past couple of days. What have I done? Oh I've picked up the house, mopped the floor, deep-cleaned (i.e., threw a lot of junk away) the childrens' rooms, rode my bike down to Petco, taken dogs on lots of walks, organized our over-crowded bookshelf, went for a 10-mile run, a 25-mile bike ride, and started reading To Kill A Mockingbird. Oh, and ate LIFE cereal for dinner. I'm totally livin' it up.

I had just gotten home from my 25-mile bike ride (my longest all year) and was feeling excellent.  Tired, but great.  The rest of Monday was mainly spent doing loads and loads of laundry.  See how "fun"!?  I did meet up with some other moms at the park to talk about our preschool co-op group and that meeting went really well.  I took both dogs on a walk - Brigham's second for the day, Wilson's first.  It's pretty tricky taking a grumpy old 13-year old dog out with a peppy and nippy 8-week old.  But it always worked out okay!

One of my best-friends, Csilla, has moved back to Montrose.  She invited me to see Mission Impossible with her Monday night.  Not necessarily a movie I would have picked to go see, but I wanted to go with her and so I did.  I half-jokingly asked her if I was going to have nightmares that night (luckily I didn't.  :).  The funniest part of the night was that we actually were in the wrong theater room and didn't realize it until about 10 minutes in to the movie.  Csilla commented during the previews, "That's funny that they are showing a preview for the movie we're watching!"  That should have been our first clue.  :)  So we missed the first 10 minutes of our movie, haha.  We were totally laughing.  It was fun and the movie was enjoyable and wasn't all gross and bloody and so that was good.

Today I did some more cleaning and then had Wren for the rest of the day.  We went, with Brigham, to the park.  But Brigham was a little too excited about all the other kids there that we didn't stay too long, but it was still a good outing.

Ben called after Emmy's appointments and everything looks OK.  Her right kidney produces about 40% of the urine.  So there is some diminished functioning, but nothing that the doctor felt like we need to act on with surgery at this point.  So they are all on their way home and should get here by 11pm.

It really was a good break for me and I think for Ben and the kids, too!  I think they have had a great time - they got to stop for like 1,289 breaks on the drive over, so they were all in heaven!  (I'm a no-stop kind of gal.)  Ben got to see some cousins and aunts and uncles that were in town and they all met up for Sunday dinner and so that was fun for him and our kids as well.  I also realized that it is harder to leave the kids when Ben and I both aren't around.  But it's way easier to leave them knowing they are with Ben.

So . . . maybe we should do this again next year!?  And next year Brigham will be old enough to go hiking all day with me and maybe, just maybe, I will have learned how to drive a stick and could use a car (instead of my bike - which I did love, but it did limit my outings just a bit . . .) to get around! We'll see!

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

i LOVE being in my house all alone. it's the greatest. i don't even care what i do, but the silence and efficiency is just so great. yes do it again, but you fly to D.C. :)

oooh, i didn't know csilla moved back! how fun for you two!