2014

2014

Tuesday, January 05, 2016

January update

I finally erased December's calendar - I started erasing December and then remembered to grab a picture.  :)  I was going to fill in those blank, no-school days with what we did do, but I obviously didn't.  Whatevs.

Here is a little update on people and probably pups:

Ben - is no longer the transient bishop (the bishops in our area share this responsibility for a year at a time).  I'm not sure who is happier - me or him?  He looks handsome with his beard - although Emmy doesn't like the scratchiness of it.  :)  He had a men's hockey night on Saturday and had a great time.  Wtih warmer temps, it might be the one and only for the season.

Me - nothing really new with me.  Probably the most exciting thing is that I ordered customed-fit jeans.  I had to send in my measurements and everything.  You won't get this if you've never had to hem your pants and have nothing ever really fit you well (I'm as short as a 4th-grader, yet weigh twice as much as one!).  We'll see if they actually fit me well. . .  I've started forcing taking my kids on Sunday-date walks.  Each week, a child has to gets to go on a walk with me.  First up was Miles.  He refused to go.  So I went.  Then he ran after me and caught up with me at the park.  Next up was Jonas.  He moaned (that's why we nicknamed him Monas - Moan-is - ).  Miles told him, "No, it's actually kind of fun.  Mom just asks you questions and talks to you."  I think he had fun.  Emmy was up last Sunday.  Ben was actually home (!) and came along.  She complained, too, at the first but ended up liking it.  I think it's grand.

Miles - started a new semester/quarter at school, with new classes of art, choir, and science.  His pet gerbil, Pepper, died.  We are not sure when exactly - but his death was discovered by Miles on Monday.  Ben and I think he 1.  suffocated under all that bedding the boys had put in the cage (you know, rather than dump the old and get new - they just covered the old stuffing . . .) and 2.  was buried so much under all that bedding and couldn't get to the water.  Miles doesn't agree.  Of course.  Lucy, Jonas' gerbil, began eating Pepper.  Which is totally normal - if you're a gerbil.  Gerbils are gross.  No tears were shed.  No burial - as Ben told them, "The ground is frozen."  Let's hope Ben doesn't die in the winter-time; karma might come back to him.

Jonas - his "real" teacher is back teaching!  She had a baby a few weeks after school started and took 3-months off.  Let's just say that Jonas wasn't the biggest fan of the long-term sub and is thrilled to have his regular teacher back.  He loved the new Star Wars movie (as we all did - well, except for Emmy, who said it was too sad) and bought a few little Lego Star Wars sets.  I couldn't stand his long, ugly hair on his neck and so I cut it off the only way I know how to cut neck hair - with a straight razor-cut.  Ben was the first to point out it was totally done wrong.  Whatevs, I was just glad to have it not crawling down his neck!  He'll get a "real" haircut tomorrow afternoon.  :)

Emmy - was invited to "pre-team" at gymnastics right before Christmas break.  Truthfully, I was sort of surprised.  She's good, but her skills are way below those girls in the pre-team/team class.  Plus, those girls are old - there is one 5th-grader, but the rest are junior-high and high-school girls.  Well, actually, another girl from her class was invited to pre-team and she's a 3rd-grader.  Anyways, it was still super exciting and she had her first class tonight.  She's got a lot to learn, but I think this will be great for her!  She'll go twice a week, 2 hours each class.  That's a lot! (Just a side-note about Coach Kirk - he's not just interested in raising good gymnasts.  He's interested in raising good kids.  And it shows.  The older girls are kind to each other and super supportive.  Sure, there are issues.  But the Coach actually deals with them and sits down with the girls and has a chat, etc.  He's pretty great.)  We've been reading the new "Annie" book and it's been fun.  When we finish, Emmy (and most likely Lucy . . .) will get to watch the movie.  They have seen the old one, but not the new one.  She thew a good fit the other day.  I can't remember what it was about - she was dealing with Ben on this one.  It was a doozy, though - but, luckily, no running-away occurred.

Lucy - what's up with Lucy?  Oh, she threw the biggest screaming-fit of her life on Monday when my friend Csilla was over.  Some mix-up with trading legos, etc.  She just screamed and screamed and screamed.  I had to spank her - I think that was my first time spanking her.  She was out-of-control.  She eventually settled down and did tell me, on her own, "I'm sorry Mommy."  It was pretty nuts.  Other than that, she's a great girl!  She really is, though.  She's a good little gymnast, too.

Wilson - he is old.  He'll be 14 this year!  He has cataracts in his eyes, his hearing is going, and his fatty lipoma thing gets bigger and bigger.  Other than that, he's great!  He gets to go on our Sunday walks - that's why I need a kid to come (so I tell them . . .):  one to walk Wilson and me to walk Brigham.

Brigham - he's a good puppy.  7-months old.  He's not perfect, but is really good - especially for a puppy.  He's only chewed up one thing - my "Sunday flip-flops," i.e., Sunday shoes.  He loves to eat socks for some reason - but then barfs (or poops) them up.  Other weird things he likes to eat: apples, bananas, raw butternut squash, broccoli - both florets and stem, carrots, potatoes, cranberries.  He loves most fruits and veggies!  The only things he hasn't loved are celery (too stringy, I think) and lemons.  :)

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

jonas named his gerbil lucy?! i didn't remember that. ugh. rodents. :)

i think i may have to institute sunday date walks.

and what's a transient bishop?