2014

2014

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Burns Hut

So a friend invited whoever to go on a backpacking/snowshoeing overnighter.  I wasn't sure how I was going to figure it out with my kids, but I signed up quickly!

We headed out on Thursday morning as soon as the kids were off to school (I was able to drop Lucy off early to preschool).  We hiked/snowshoed in about 5 1/2 miles to Burns Hut.  There is this whole hut-system in the mountains near us.  Actually, Ben and I cross-country skied here and met up with a bunch of his friends like 10 years ago!  Anyways, it was such a change hiking with adults!  Wow, adults totally go faster than kids - it was quite the work-out.  It was pretty much all uphill and took us 3 1/2 hours to get to the hut.  We hung out, ate some lunch, then headed back out for a mile trek to some vista point.  It was so pretty up there!  Then we just hung out more, cooked up our dinner, played phase 10 (a card game), then went to bed.

I had an awful night.  I was awake from midnight to about 2:30, and then on and off after that until 6am.  I'm not sure why I slept so awfully - we had pads provided at the hut.  I was just coming down with a cold, but I'm not sure if that's why.  Anyways, it was super annoying and I was happy when it was finally time to get up!

We got up, ate, packed up, and headed back out.  It was a nicer hike out as it was mostly downhill!  It still took us a little under 2 1/2 hours.  We got back and went out to lunch at a most awesome place in Ridgway - Taco Del Gnar.  I got a mahi taco and avocado taco.  YUM.  Anyways, it was a great trip!

 Sherri and Heather eating lunch.

After lunch we snowshoed out to Moonshine Park.  It was a cool spot!

 Just chillin'.  Luckily, it wasn't that cold!  In fact, it was pretty darn warm, really.  Well, compared to what it could have been!

 This is us on Friday morning as we were getting ready to pack out.  There's Kandace, Amy, Heather, Sherri, Jerry, and myself!  The hut has a wood-burning stove and it gets so toasty warm in there - almost too much at times.  It's really a great little hut, though!

 There we all are again, ready to leave.

 This is close towards the end of the trail - where it becomes part of a road that is drivable in the summertime.

Some of the beautiful mountains we saw!

2 comments:

erinmalia said...

this looks like so much fun. super jealous! except for the bad sleeping, of course.

Elder James and Sister Dixie Galbraith said...

I'm not sure, but I think a snowmobile would have been much faster...and maybe even more fun (ha). The weather looked really great!