2014

2014

Saturday, May 21, 2016

Ragnar

I don't think I've mentioned that I am training for my first Ragnar race.  In case you don't know, a Ragnar is a team-relay run.  I've known a bunch of ladies here that have done a couple of Ragnars, but they have never interested me as you are driving, eating, sleeping all in car - and then running when it's your turn.  The whole stuck-in-a-car for 36 hours sounded miserable to me.

One day I was chatting with my sister (a year or 2 ago) and she mentioned that there are Trail Ragnars (in fact, she has done both types of Ragnars).  A trail Ragnar is where you have a base camp and all your runs originate from there.  Camping, mountains, running, friends - sounded great!  I found one here (or maybe my sister found it?!) in Colorado and got a team together.  There are 8 of us that will each be running 3 legs of the race (so 24 legs total).  It will be about a 24-hour race - we hope.  :)  The trails are steep and so we'll see how we all do!

We've been meeting Thursday evenings for the past 2 1/2 months for some training runs and those have been sooooo hard, but good, too!  This past weekend we met Friday for a meeting, then a night run (which I super-scared myself because of the mountain lions that are in the area!  But we all survived . . .:).  Then today we got up and headed out at 6 am to the trails for an early-morning trail run.  It was great!  In the "ugh, these hills are so tiring" kind of way.

My running times for the race don't seem to awful:  about 3pm, 11:30pm (luckily I have a night-running buddy that's coming just to run that leg with me!), and then 7:30am.  The hardest, steepest, and longest leg is my last run.  Boohoo.  But whatevs.

Anyways, here are a few pics from this weekend:
The beginning of our night run.  It was still a little light - and we did have that awesome full moon!  Which is also too bad because that means that our race in 2 weeks won't have a full moon.  :(

Yay, we all survived!  :)
The "before" picture of our morning run.  Sarah B., on the picture's left, is my night running buddy!  So we've got Sarah B., Brittany, Heather, Kandace, and myself.

 And the "after" picture - at least we're still smiling . . . :)  And, no, we didn't lose Sarah, she just had to get back home ASAP.

Ragnar, or I should say pre-Ragnar, has already been pretty fun!  I can't believe it's only 2 weeks away . . .



2 comments:

erinmalia said...

i think you should keep up your thursday night runs. we've been doing ours for over three years! you are going to have so much fun!

Niederfam said...

Good luck!!!