2014

2014

Thursday, June 16, 2016

Summer Update

Get ready for a nap or something . . . :)

So it officially feels like summer now.  We've just finished up 2-week swim lessons for all the kids.  And that's just so summery.  :)  There were many points why swim lessons were awesome this year:
1.  I knew 4 other moms that were there at the same time watching their kids.
2.  My kids improved in their swimming.
3.  My kids loved it and had great swim teachers.
4.  No one drowned.  (Jonas drowned years back while in a swim class . . .)
5.  And FREE lunch afterwards since I was so smart to sign them up for 11am swim lessons!

The free lunch thing was pretty great and I'm going to miss it.  In fact, I should finally be making bread right now instead of typing away on my blog . . .  The school district offers free lunch at 2 spots during June and July: one at the pool and at one of the middle schools.  There were pretty decent lunches - and always came with a treat and so that was better than lunch from home!  :)

All of my kids except Miles leveled up in their swim levels.  Poor Miles.  But the kid is just so uncoordinated in the water!  I mean, he can swim-play just fine - dive for things, paddle around, etc.  But swim real strokes?  Nope.  Not to be too rude, but it was rather comical to watch him.  He did try and I do think some of it (just a little) was due to not being able to wear goggles.  Jonas, Emmy, and Miles were all in the same class/level.  Emmy was borderline, her teacher said, but she did pass Emmy.  I think Emmy would actually do best to stay in the same level again.  But I guess she can try the next level and we'll see.  Their teacher also told us that Jonas should look in to the swim team.  She (I guess I could call her Ms. Nancy) called swimming Jonas' "thing."  We'd love to find his "thing"!  :)  What - my child a swimmer?!  I would have never thought.  Jonas isn't great, but he definitely shows some ability and talent.

The boys participated in an archery event through the library.  They had a good time there and Miles, Jonas, and their friend Ivan all made it in the papers.  I didn't see it, but I got a copy of it:


The boys have played with their neighbors and friends a bunch and have eaten popsicles and have bought treats from the ice-cream man.  So that sounds like a pretty good summer so far.  :)

I finally got my kids to the dentist.  It had been 2 years, I guess.  I'm the worst and should be fired . . . Everyone was great except Jonas; he had one little cavity.  So we went back and Miles and Emmy got sealants on their new molars and Jonas got his first filling - fun, fun.

The girls did dance camp this week - Monday through Thursday.  So they were busy:  dentist, swim lessons, lunch, dance camp, then gymnastics on Tues. for both girls and on Thurs. for Emmy!  Plus Emmy got sick and hasn't been feeling great, but has been hanging in there thanks to ibuprofen.  They wanted to do the "Jedi training" dance camp and have had a good time so far.  I asked the girls if they wanted to dress up as "Rey" for their last day (from the new Star Wars) and they did - and so I put together a costume in 15 minutes.  I think they looked cute:


Ben and I went together to pick up Emmy from gymnastics on Tuesday and she showed us her new and improved round-off back-handspring.  It was sooo good!  I mean, a lot of improvement since I took those last videos a few weeks ago.  It was really fun to see her do that.

It's hot.  But we did have 3 days of awesome hail/pelting-rain storms.  That was fun!

What else to bore you with . . . Miles goes to Scout camp next week - as in all week long.  It will be interesting to see how he does!  He won't be homesick, I'm sure, but we'll see how much merit-badging he can accomplish.  :)  I just reviewed the badges they offer at the camp and we made a list of which ones he wants to do.  (I am making him do 2 - which are required badges and are a little difficult to earn.  All the other badges are "just for fun" really.)  His top three choices:  1.  fishing, 2.  basketry, and 3. art.  Awesome.

Jonas starts tennis lessons next week. I found a racket - that looks great - for $1.  Awesome.

Tons of people kept asking me about the "Into the Wild Wednesday" group we did last year (I was one of the starters/organizers.)  I sort of didn't want to do it again this year, but I caved in and will hopefully just organize a couple of the outings and let others do the rest!  :)

Ben slowed down a bit at work for a few weeks.  A couple of doctors were gone and such.  But the last couple of weeks it has picked up and he has worked some long days.  The fort is nearing completion!

I finally talked Ben in to coming road-biking with me on Saturday mornings.  I'll do my long run on Friday and then we can go together on Saturday.  We did it last week and it was grand.  It's nice having kids a bit older that can be left for a little while!

Okay, that's enough for now!

2 comments:

erinmalia said...

oh man, the best was the end: leaving your kids alone! how glorious! the other stuff looked great too. :)

oh, and those costumes? amazing!

Niederfam said...

Live in babysitters are AMAZING. I feel like I have" arrived" when Preston and I can run, bike, or go run errands, or even on a date night while Mitt holds down the fort. It's awesome.