2014

2014

Monday, June 06, 2016

The Snowmass Trail Ragnar

Well the Snowmass Trail Ragnar was just this past weekend.  It was a great time - but also super hard!  All 3 runs were definitely challenging!  We got to Snowmass Village on Thursday evening and had a great evening just chatting with everyone.  Friday morning we got up and went to the "Ragnar Village" where we found our camping spot and began setting up.  By 11:30 am our first runner was off!

 This map depicts the 3 different runs that each of us on the team run.  Green loop - easiest.  Yellow loop - intermediate.  And red loop - most difficult.  14.5 miles total for each runner.  We all ran them in a specific order - either Green, Red, then Yellow; or Yellow, Green, then Red; or Red, Yellow, then Green.  I was given the rotation of Yellow, Green, then Red - ending up on the hardest run.  Ugh.  :)

 This shows the "Ragnar Village" camping - so cool!

 Here's a close-up of our little camping area - so cute.  :)  I made those signs - as our team name was "Dangerous Curves Ahead."

 Brittany, the cute gal in blue, was our first runner!  I was number 5.  My first run began at about 3:30.  It was sooooo hot!  Like mid-70s, but up in that cloudless elevation it felt like the 90s.  I don't run well in the heat, but ended up doing okay.  The yellow/intermediate was a challenge for sure!  I was glad to have my hot run done with.

We basically would do a lot of walking back and forth between our campsite and the transition area - where the one runner hands off the bib/timing chip to the next runner.  We'd cheer on our team as they came in and cheer them on as they headed out.  We all weren't there for all the runs, but we'd come back and forth a bunch.  We not only got some good running in, but a lot of walking as well.

My friend/night-running buddy and I took advantage of the free 8-minute massage they were offering.  I'm not sure what hurt worse - my uphill yellow run or the massage!?  It was quite painful.

Dinner was served that night and was pretty yummy.

Some of us tried getting some rest before our night run, but it just didn't happen for me.  I finally gave up and got out of the tent and just waited until it was time to head over to the transition area.  Sarah, my night runner, and I went down and hung-out near the bonfire for a bit - and got to watch a little of the movie they were showing on a big screen - Top Gun.

We headed out for our night run at midnight.  It was the best run!  Sarah was a great night-buddy and told me of all the pitfulls on the trail:  "dip!"  "root!"  "rock!" etc.  It felt wonderful without the sun and was just an awesome, awesome night run.  It turned out that no matter what run we had (green, yellow, or red), whatever run was done at night was that person's favorite.  Does that make sense?!  So like if my night run was the red loop, it probably would have been my favorite.  It was just so cool and nice!

We got back to our tent and I probably slept from about 1-4:45am.  Not too bad!

 Here we are just hanging out in the morning.  A couple of husbands made it up to run the night-runs (and more) with their wives.  Fun, fun!

 By a little after 8 am it was time for my final run - the hardest (red) run.  A 6.7 mile run - with 3.5 miles of it going up and up and up and up some more.  Sarah, the girl on the right, was my night buddy.  She ended up running all the runs with me.  Well, sort of.  I'm faster than her and so we didn't really run together.  We just started together.  :)  Except for the night run - I stayed with her the whole time as that was purpose of having a night-running buddy!

 Here I am finally coming down from my run!  It was so hot - even by then!  I was dying.  I walked maybe a mile (or less) of the trail on the way up.  It was a very difficult climb!  But I made it and enjoyed the rolling downhill part of the run - even though my body was exhausted!

 Here I am coming in to the transition tent - glad to be done with all my runs!  It was very tiring, yet very awesome.

 My family came and met me there that morning!  They saw me off on my last run and then cheered me on when I was finishing!  Ben and crew left our home at 5 am that morning - what a great support team I have.  :)

 There were three runners to go after my last run and so we just walked around, packed up a bit, and waited for a while for our last runner to come in.  Here's 4 of us hanging out:  Brittany, Sarah B. (our unofficial team member), Kandace, and myself!

 Kandace and Sarah B. showing off their tan/burnt leg-lines!

Our last runner, Stefanie (also our fastest and who also had the red/hardest run last), finished at about 12;30 pm and we all ran in with her.  Yay!  We were done!

 Our Ragnar team: back row - Heather, Brittany, Sarah E., Kandace, and Sarah B.  Front row:  Marnae, Stefanie, me, and Erika.  Erika was the only non-LDS gal and works with Sarah E. and filled in when another team member couldn't do it anymore.  Stefanie lives in UT and is Marnae's sister and looks and talks just like here.  :)  I am pretty sure we represented every ward/branch in the Montrose area.  :)

 At home in my Ragnar shirt and medal.  I was pretty sleepy on the ride home!  :)

The interesting medal we got - it's got lots of "tools" in it.  At least it's functional I guess!

And there you have - the long version of my first Ragnar!

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

way to go, runner! :) Looks like your planning paid off. And doesn't look like rain, so lucky you. Although I'm sure you'd rather have rain than the heat. Blah. No need to explain how hot an 8 o'clock run can be. SO HOT.

So glad you got to do it!