2014

2014

Friday, August 26, 2016

East Coast - Gettysburg

So we left NY on Monday and drove to Gettysburg - which is right on the way back to my sister's home anyways.  Perfect.

The kids were quite upset as we drove up and parked - they were assuming we'd be there for like an hour stop; instead we told them we'd be there for the rest of the day.  Maybe Miles wasn't upset?  Anyways, I think the kids ended up having fun - although Emmy will say she didn't.  Ben?  He LOVED it.

 We got there right in time for this program to begin.  The kids - minus Miles who didn't want to join in - got to get guns and hats and be "soldiers."

 They charged at the invisible enemy troops and then shot away - how exciting!

 Jonas totally loved it.  Of course.

 We saw a cool video and then got to view this cyclorama picture.  It was pretty impressive.

There was a neat museum that we got to check out, too.  Ben and I found these remarks (in regards to Lincoln's Getttysburg address) quite interesting:
 Crazy!

 There were some who felt otherwise.  :)

 We went to the "Life of a Soldier" presentation and it was super great!  The kid who presented did a great job and we got to pass around all sorts of items - like clothing, shoes, hard-tack, etc.  The gun in the picture was an actual Civil War gun.  Pretty neat.
 The girls on a cannon (in case you didn't know, ha).

 The boys with a cannon and some important monument in the background.  Sorry, I can't remember what it is.  I am sure Ben knows.  :)

 Uhhh, this is another important place - Pickett's charge, I think?!

 We walked a little trail (you can drive, but we opted to "hike" for 10 minutes) to Little Round Top - another important place of the attack at Gettysburg.

Sorry, Ben should do this post!  I don't know what this is all about - some monument to one of the troops.

It was neat to be there and I really think everyone enjoyed it . . . for the most part.  :)

2 comments:

Elder James and Sister Dixie Galbraith said...

Gettysburg is a beautiful place. We are so glad you were able to visit the site and appreciate our country's history. It's interesting, of course, that Pennsylvania has the largest monument there. The photos of all of you are so good.

erinmalia said...

haha. I love that you know nothing. And by "nothing" I just mean less than Ben. But it's more than I know because I don't think I've been there since we were kids! Once the humidity drops, I'll have to take my kids. Because, you know, we live here so we never go!