2014

2014

Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Moms in Moab (with their kids)

So the kids had a "fall break" of sorts from school and I decided to take advantage of it and take the kids camping.  My friend Csilla wanted to go and she invited her Hungarian friend, "Mog-duh" (that's how I pronounce it . . .).  Csilla's friend has two kids - twin boy and girl - that go to Northside.  They are in the 4th grade and speak very little English - but they are learning!  It was a good group to go with.

Overall, it was a great trip!  But that didn't mean I didn't have to deal with Miles on multiple occassions as he constantly pushed his boundaries (literal and physical boundaries) and led the whole group of kids away from camp.  One time that we finally found them was a little scary - 10 more minutes and it would have been dark and not-fun searching for a group of kids.  That boy.  Then I had to deal with Jonas on multiple occassions as well - he was more of the grump who complained every time he had to "help."  My kids were expected to help set up camp, help with meals, help pack up, etc.  Jonas, of course, was more interested in playing with his friends and let me know it.  We had some talks.  I also had to deal with some crying and gnashing of teeth when Emmy realized she had forgotten her "boo."  We were still in the car heading out and weren't super-far from home.  But it was far enough to not make the turn-around for it.  Emmy was beyond sad and mad.  She couldn't control herself for about 30 minutes in the car.  Then she focused on some coloring and that was that!  Lucy, sometimes not very happily, would "share" her boo with Emmy.  Emmy survived!  And Lucy?  Truthfully, she was practially perfect.  Go Lucy.

Anyways . . . 

We got to our campground by 11:30 on Monday and set-up camp.  We had lunch, the kids ran around, and then we headed off to hike Negro Bill canyon.

 This was our turn-around point - I told the kids we would hike until we could see Morning Glory Bridge.  It's about 2 miles to this point.  All the kids did great.

 There are tons of water-crossings and such and you can pretty much just walk down the entire stream as well.  Which the kids did on and off.  Here is Levi, Jonas, and Emmy.

 As Lucy told me when she saw this picture, "I'm strong!"

 My kids are super crazy.  Amazingly, Emmy dried off by the time we got back to the car!

We drove back to camp and the boys got a fire going and we all started cooking our dinners.  We ate and then the kids went exploring.

 We called our camp, Camp Chocolate River.  The stream looked like chocolate to the kids.  Emmy and Lucy came to get me to check it out - and then the search for the other kids began as the girls told me Miles had gone way off and that the others had followed.  After lots of searching and yelling, we were finally able to make contact and the kids came back.  Sigh.

We enjoyed the evening with another fire and then played "Murder."  Emmy suggested it - I had told her about it once - and everyone enjoyed it and had fun!  (You hand out as many cards as you have players - whoever gets the "Ace" is the murderer and whoever gets the "Jack" is "Jack the Detective."  The murderer kills by winking at people - who then make ghastly noises and "dies."  Jack tries to figure out who the murderer is.  Fun stuff.  :)

The kids also shared "scary" stories around the fire.  My favorite were the Hungarian kids who had to tell their stories in Hungarian and their mother translated.  Very cool.

 The girls sharing Lucy's boo as they get ready for sleep.

 Sillies!

 Bedtime went great.  I turned out the big light and was able to read my book for 20 minutes - in silence.  My kids must have been good and tired - not a peep from them all night!  They slept good.  I slept until 1am and then was up pretty much every hour after that.  That's how I sleep when I camp.  I'm getting old!

We packed up camp, ate breakfast, and then headed to our next hike - Corona Arch.  (I did these same 2 hikes with my kids a couple years back.  They are good, little hikes - for good, little kids.)

 Cool, you get to climb a ladder on this hike!

 Corona Arch is beautiful!  But it's got nothing on my two girls!

 Jonas at Bowtie Arch - this is right before you get to Corona.

 Here is our group sitting under Corona Arch eating some snacks.  Csilla took the picture and so she's not in it.

 I love this picture of a happy girl climbing some rocks!

 Lucy wanted to compare her size to that of the arch's.  Crazy!  Last time we came to this arch, there were people rope/bungee jumping off of it.  Stupid!

All the kids hanging on to the cable on our way back.  There is Jonas, Kyle, Lexi, Christof, Sonja, Lucy, Emmy, Levi, and Miles.

We got back from the hike, ate lunch next to the big river, and then headed back home.  We got home in time to unload the car and then take Lucy to gymnastics.  Then later Emmy to gymnastics.  Then Jonas to swimming.  Back to real life!

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

This is so seriously cool. I've just come to realize that there just isn't much drama out east. So while you get to do all these cool canyon, desert, peak, or whatever hikes, I'll have to be content with flat forests. Ha. So fun for you guys! (Except when it wasn't....MILES.) :)