2014

2014

Saturday, January 21, 2017

Proud

So Jonas had his 2nd-ever swim meet.  As hard as it is to watch your child not be the best, it's pretty awesome to watch your kid try something he didn't think he could do - and do it!  I was so proud of Jonas!

Jonas did four events at the meet:  the 200 yard Free Relay (part of a 4-person relay), the 100 Free, the 100 IM (individual medley - swimming 25 of butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and free), and finishing up with the 50 backstroke.  He did not want to do any 100's, but now that he's 11, there isn't much offered at the 50-level (in fact, I think the backstroke was the only event offered).

I missed Jonas' first event - the relay.  The girls had a play-date in the morning and so I was there just a little late.  But Ben said Jonas did just fine.

Once I got there with the rest of the kids, I went over and said hi to Jonas and wished him luck on his next event.  He was so nervous and said that he didn't want to do it and that he'd never done a 100.  I just told him to try his very best!  He ended up trying and did do the 100 - he was probably 2nd or 3rd to last. Oh well.  I was just proud that he did it!

He did okay in the individual medley, too.  I can't remember if he got last in his heat . . . but I think he did.  But he did it all!  He did get disqualified - which is not to uncommon as kids are still learning their proper strokes, especially in the butterfly and breaststroke.  But, again, he tried it and did it!

His last event was the 50-yard backstroke.  Out of the 6 kids in his heat, he got 3rd (almost 2nd!).  So that was super exciting for all of us and Jonas was super happy about it!  It was a good way to end his meet.

I get frustrated with how swimming and wrestling meets are arranged - having kids just because of age or weight compete in the same groups.  I mean, Jonas is now in the 11 year-old, plus group - he was competing against a lot older kids who have been swimming for years and years.  I wish that the groups could be based on what year competing this is for you.  Doesn't that make much more sense?!

But, anyways, this was another great experience for Jonas and I am super proud of him.  He pushed himself and did things he didn't want to do and didn't think he could!  Yay Jonas!

2 comments:

erinmalia said...

Go Jo! Yeah, there are tricky rules about the kicks for the strokes and blah blah blah. I'm pretty sure I'd be DQ'd for everything I tried! But so glad he's enjoying it! He and I will have to have some races in July. :)

Niederfam said...

That's AWESOME. Good for him. Not everything comes easy, and sometimes it never does. Life lessons are sometimes HARD, but SO good too!