2014

2014

Monday, May 01, 2017

April 27th, 2017

This was our 15th year anniversary - go us!  It was bit of a busy day.  I slept for a few hours in the morning, as I had worked the previous THREE nights.  I got up, swam, made cookies, helped with a project at the school, helped with the GOTR practice 5k at our school, bought (not made!) dinner, and then went to Lucy's music recital.  It was quite the day.

Ben was busy with work, of course.  He did get home in the early afternoon and was able to welcome his parents to our home.  We spent time together at the recital - and that was it for our "official anniversary."  Ben did make a rhubarb pie that he and I ate after the recital and after the cookie-eating kids were to bed.  :)

I do want to mention how Emmy totally rocked the practice 5K.  So Emmy is now an official Girl on the Run.  Now that she is in the 3rd-grade, she can actually be a part of the program.  And, as it would turn out, I decided not to coach this year.  I am a running buddy (an official title in the program) and have attended every Thursday practice at Northside.

Anyways, they always have a practice 5K before the "real deal" on May 6th - with students from Montrose, Olathe, Delta, and who knows where else.

And guess who was the first one to finish the practice 5K?!  You got it . . . Emmy!  It was awesome.  She's one of the littlest gals there, but she did it.  She wasn't planning on being first . . . until we heard the "fast girls" talking about how many more laps they had and Emmy realized she had less to do and could beat them.  :)  I don't like bragging about my kids, but it was really fantastic.  I ran the last 2 miles with her and was able to keep her on a good and steady pace - not too slow and not too fast (something most of the girls, Emmy included, have a hard time doing on their own).

Of course I was proud of all the girls - they all did it and finished within an hour.  Even cute Izzy (a special-needs girl) finished.  The same Izzy that I walked/jogged with on her first few laps and was told by her, "I'm tired!  My legs hurt!  When are we done?!"  Haha.  She was adorable as she ran through the toilet-paper finish line.  :)  Emmy thought it was about the cutest thing - seeing Izzy totally grinning and so happy to have done it.  Emmy has a very soft-spot for special-needs children.

Anyways, back to our anniversary . . . the celebration really started the next day . . .

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

I've never heard of you buying dinner, so I'm curious to know what it was!

Way to go Emmy-on-the-Run! One of your kids is good at something! :) What is her pace? I have no idea what kids can run.