2014

2014

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Shhhh - don't tell Emmy

I found this play kitchen at an antique store here in town a couple of months ago. I had wanted to get a play kitchen for Emmy's 2nd birthday (coming up on the 27th!), but I did not want plastic, nor too big. Nor too much money. So when I found this I knew I had found It: handmade out of wood (by "real elves in Maine" as stamped on the back), quite petite, and only $25 - a steal. I bought it and this is what it originally looked like:

After sanding it, painting primer and several coats of paint, applying contact paper, buying cute cherry knobs on Etsy for $2.50, getting vinyl lettering made for free (by my friend), here is what it looks like now:

I'm totally excited about it. I know Emmy might not be super into it now, but I know that it is something she will use for years. (Miles knows about it and would "play" with it every time I got it down to work on it. ha) I'm probably more excited about it than she will be, but oh well. :)

12 comments:

Meg said...

Super Cute!! I would love to find something like that for Ellie, but then I'd have to find somewhere to put it.

rebecca said...

Love it! It's sooo cute and there's so much love in it. She will cherish it for sure. Way better than plastic.

erinmalia said...

yep, sooo cute. good job mom and dad!

emily said...

ahem - i'll take all the credit for this one. :)

Montrose Lewises said...

lol and you shd take the credit :D I can't believe the potential you spotted in it! It looks so different after your work! love it!

i {heart} hawkes said...

i am in love with emmy's awesome kitchen! way to go, truly inspiring.

i {heart} hawkes said...

i am in love with emmy's awesome kitchen! way to go, truly inspiring.

Emily said...

That is one of the best make-overs I have ever seen! Wow, it looks awesome. I can see why you are so excited about it!

Nicole said...

DARLING!!! I absolutely love it! If you want to find another one and do the same thing and write Molly on it, that would be awesome! :0)

Niederfam said...

DARLING!!!!!! YOu do have a "MAGIC" touch. She'll LOVE it!!!!

Kristen said...

Yes, I am still alive by the way. And....that is the cutest kitchen ever. I can't believe the transformation. It was like something you might see on one of those HGTV shows. She will love it.

Kristen said...

However, I might call her and tell her about it.