The Unbeatables -
Jonas was the swimmer, Holly the biker, and Emmy the runner. Out of the 8 youth teams age 11-14, they came in 8th. Bummer! Emmy was especially bummed. But it was still fun for them and they had a great time. We just got our split-results today and Emmy was actually the 2nd fastest runner in the team category, so that made her happy. Jonas was 4th. I think Emmy is going to do it on her own next year.
2/3 of The Unbeatables getting ready to head out to the event early Saturday morning.
Jonas jumping in for his swim! He swam 200 meters.
Jonas running to hand off his chip to Holly.
The exchange.
And Holly's off! Her bike ride was a 10k.
Now Holly's back and is exchanging the chip with Emmy.
And Emmy's off!
What a fun time!
Team Dadbrosis -
Yes, I came up with the name. Ben wasn't too keen on Lucy's name of "Fluffy Unicorns." Although Miles liked it . . . So I just threw that name out there and Ben said, "Well it's better than the alternative." I made shirts on Friday night and they were a hit. So many people loved them. :) I think they turned out pretty great.
Ben was the swimmer (he hadn't swam in a couple of months - but of course beat my time). Miles was the biker. As he is 15 years old, he had to do the "adult" length - so a 24K (about 14 1/2 miles). Miles rode Ben's road-bike with the clipless pedals - which is tricky to get in and out of, but Miles tried it the night before and figured it out pretty quickly. Miles hadn't trained for this, but does do the mountain biking team and so he was fine. He actually did great - getting a time of 47:13 - 4 1/2 minutes faster than me. Yay, I was excited for him. It's actually a pretty tough ride. Anyways, Lucy was the running caboose and did just fine. Emmy ran with her and told us how they how to stop three times in the 1/2 mile run. :) Yeah, Lucy's not quite the runner Emmy is. But she's cute and finished and that's what's important (being cute and finishing . . . :) ).
Introducing Team Dadbrosis . . .
Get it now? :)
Go Ben!
He swam great!
The team transition area . . . waiting for their teammate to hand-off the timing chip.
Miles takes off on his bike ride!
Lucy had fun playing with her friends while she waited for Miles to finish his ride. From left to right: Genevieve, our neighbor and school-mate. She did the triathlon all on her own. Lila, a good friend from our homeschool preschool days, currently in our book club, etc. And Lucy.
And Miles is back!
And here comes Lucy across the finish line.
Great job Team Dadbrosis!
Another 1st place finish for Ben and Lucy! Miles' 1st 1st. :) (There were just 3 family teams this year.)
Me -
So I didn't officially train for this triathlon. I mean, I was swimming, biking, and running all summer - but not specific triathlon trainings. Which means, I didn't do many back-to-back work-outs - like swim and bike or bike and run. I did a few swim-bike work-outs, but only one bike-run workout - which was like 10 days before the triathlon. But it worked out okay and I was actually pleased with my time. I'll still throw in another excuse, though: I worked about 48 hours that week leading up to the triathlon. Including 2 day shifts and THREE NIGHT shifts. Ugh. But it was okay. The swim was faster than I usually do it - my total time said like 14 1/2 minutes, but my actual swim-time for the 500 was 13 minutes. Fast for me, but slow compared to everyone else! I don't know how to go any faster! The bike ride was tough, but my time was about 5 minutes faster than what I had practiced, so I was happy! I felt great on the run - I mean, my legs felt like bricks those first 10 minutes (maybe even 15), but I felt strong and good.
My bike and stuff next to my friend's bike and stuff. :)
Me getting ready to start. How cool was my number - 123! I was able to see most of my kids start and end their events - except I didn't see Lucy start or finish, and I didn't see Emmy finish. But it was fun cheering them on for a bit.
My friend Heather. She is our neighbor and Genevieve's mom. She's an awesome triathlete!
Here I am finishing my bike ride (I had already swam, of course).
Heading out for my run . . .
It was super fun and I loved it. I hope we'll do it again next year participating somehow - either on our own or as a team. It's a great local event!
1 comment:
I love everything about this!
Post a Comment