2014

2014

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Another Week

The highlight of the week (at least for me and hopefully everyone else!) was our little backpack trip up to Blue Lakes. Ben wasn't super excited about our destination because it's quite a popular trail. But, we hadn't done it in 6 years and we never have made it up to the Upper Lakes. So I thought we could leave Friday after work, backpack to the Lower Blue Lake and camp. Then Saturday morning we would hike to the Upper Lakes, and then back down. So that's what we did and I think it turned out pretty great. The crowds were more sparse on Friday, but I think that was due to our timing: we started hiking at 5:30pm. There weren't many camping spots near the lake, but we did find an obscure one that worked out great. Hiking back down on Saturday was crazy - so many people! The traffic (of people) was horrible. :) But whatever. It's beautiful there. I would say there were about 100 cars in the parking lot and beyond. Yeah, a bit busy for sure! But Ben survived it thankfully and I won't pressure him to go for another 6 years or so . . .
At the trail head ready for the hike! 

This waterfall was beautiful - too bad my picture ins't so grand. Our camping spot was actually pretty close to the fall.


Huffing and puffing it up the trail. The first couple of miles (it's only 3.3 miles to the lake) is pretty tough! Everyone did great, but Lucy struggled the most. I was thankful for her rest-stops. :) The girls were really excited about this trip and packed their bags all on their own. So awesome. I think they over-packed and had more weight than necessary, but they did great.

A couple of hours later we made it to Blue Lakes! But it wasn't so blue at this time of day, ha. But seriously awesome nonetheless.

We finally found a campsite and the girls took a rest on a log.

Cute girls wearing their Christmas jammies - all ready for bed. Lucy brought up the 3rd Harry Potter book and so we all crowded in the kids' tent and I read one chapter. Then bedtime! It was a chilly night, but not horrible.

After a hearty breakfast of instant oatmeal packets, we were off to hike to the Upper Lakes - sans backpacks, yay. It was a beautiful hike!

This was the Upper Lake (there is a Middle Lake, I guess). The lake isn't quite as gorgeous as the lower one (in my opinion), but it was still so beautiful up there.

Proof that I was there. :) Quite the peak behind us.


Fun stream crossings on our way back to Lower Blue Lake.

Ahhhhh, there's that blue color! Amazing.

Lucy and Ben tried to recreate the spot where this picture was taken 6 years ago. :)


  The flowers were lovely!

 The end. The boys went ahead of us for the last half of the hike. It was another great adventure in the awesome outdoors!

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

Gorgeous! The scenery looks so...western. Ha.