2014

2014

Wednesday, March 09, 2022

Happy Birthday and Happy Adulting

(Because you're an adult now, I let you choose the picture. Well, kind of. I did say "No" to quite a lot. But this one is . . . you. Plus, Aunt-e will hate it because she hates Pit Vipers. And you've got three on. Ha! But Aunt-e will also love this because now she's part of your letter. :) )

Miles,

Well you're now one of us ("us" meaning your parents) - an adult. I'm sorry. It's not quite as grand as being a kid. But there are some perks, I guess, and so hopefully you'll enjoy this new stage of your life - especially as it's the stage you'll be at for the rest of your life. Luckily, you're still a "young adult" and that is actually pretty darn fun. (Adulting really becomes a drag when you have a bunch of teenagers at home, haha.)

You've grown from a little and adorable baby to a little and handsome mini-man. I can hardly remember the days when you were going to elementary school. And, as I always say, you're still much the same as you were the year before (or even the yearS before).

One way you're the same is that you're different. Ha. But you like being different. Sometimes you like it a little too much and I feel you are trying to purposely be different. But, really, you are just different. You always have been and I am sure you always will be. Being different has worked out well for you. You have confidence in your uniqueness and that's a huge benefit to your character. You are who you are and you know who you are. Not many kids/young adults can say that.

You continue to like small and weird details of life. You continue to ask me questions that 1. I have never thought about and 2. I have no clue on the answer. This began when you could talk and continues to this day.

In your short driving life, you have owned three vehicles. A Lincoln, a Studebaker, and now a Mini Cooper. Each car was unique and cool - just like you. But with the current crazy-high gas prices, I am betting you are enjoying the Mini's awesome gas mileage - a mere seven or so times better than you other cars!

We weren't sure when you'd finally be able to finish up your high school course work . . . but it looks like you'll be able to pull it off over the summer. You better - seeing as you're planning on going to BYU-I this fall semester - whooop, whooop! College! Yay! That's when being a young adult is so much fun. Good fun, though. Don't forget that. The girls talk about how much they are going to miss you. Which is kind of funny because it's not like you all are the best of friends. But you're kind to them and interesting and just nice to have around. We'll all miss that for sure. I am actually not excited about the new family dynamics you're starting - that of moving out and moving on. But that's what we've raised you to do and, for your sake, I want you to do it. But it will be odd not having you around (okay, so maybe a few tears are welling up in my eyes . . . I am not totally okay with this. But 100% supportive of it.)

You aren't sure what you want to be when you "grow up." Which is looming closer and closer for you. But it will probably involve the sciences somehow. You rely on guidance from your patriarchal blessing and I think that's pretty cool. I still think you should be a vet, but I also know you'll be great at whatever you end up choosing.

In the words of the brilliant Dr. Seuss: “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”

We (as in your whole family - dad, siblings, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, oh my) will all be here to support and cheer you on as you create your very own and very unique path in life.

Love you Miles.

love, me.

P.S. I am planning on stopping these "letters" once you're 18. So this should be your last!

No comments: