Well the BC Tri was another great experience - for the three of us who participated! Miles is gone, of course. Jonas was offered lots of money if he would do it AND beat Ben - but he didn't want to. Emmy had back-to-back cross-country meets the two days before and so she was out. She was sad to miss it, though.
I had been working with a trainer (one of Csilla's friends who does tri-training in Hungary) and that was pretty fun. My workouts were challenging yet fun. Ben worked out more than normal in the month or two leading up to the triathlon. Lucy got a team together about 2 weeks before the event and learned how to ride my old road bike and trained a few times before the race. :)

Lucy's team: Lucy (biker), Myelle (swimmer - the girls didn't know her but she was Ben's co-worker's daughter and is on the swim team), and Ruby (runner). Lucy and Ruby are really good friends. Their team name was Tri or Dye. Yes, I came up with it. Lucy made the girls' shirts - well tie-dyed them with our good friends and neighbors, who also happen to be tie-dye masters. :) Molly wrote on them and they are just adorable.
Myelle did great at the swim. Then it was Lucy's turn to bike:

She almost fell as she was getting on her bike to start and ended up getting hit on her shin pretty hard by her pedal. But she quickly hopped on and started to ride and did awesome - shaving off about 3 minutes from her time last year (probably due to her riding a road bike . . . but that still counts and is still great).

Once Lucy came back it was time to switch the timing chip to Ruby, their runner.

Ruby is so fast and ran so well!
Ben and I started at just about the same time. We had watched Lucy leave and come back from her ride and then we headed to the line. We both did great, really. Ben shaved 6 minutes off his time from last year and I shaved 8 minutes. And I felt it. I pushed it so hard! I was dying on the bike ride - I was pushing so hard that I thought I might be pushing too much and wouldn't have enough steam to finish the ride, let alone the run. But I managed somehow and did well. I did feel like crying and throwing up at the finish line and so that's that. Lucy got a few pictures (well, she got more than a few, but only a few that were worth much, ha).



Ben getting ready for his ride!

Me getting ready for my ride!
Ben's final time was about 1:21 and mine was about 1:26. Ben ended up getting 4th (!!!) OVERALL. Incredible. He got 1st (!!!) in his age division. And me? I was totally expecting a great place as my friend, who usually does it and always beats me - told me I had beaten her PR. (She couldn't do it this year d/t having Covid at the same time.) But, nope, I didn't place and didn't get to go up and claim my dog-tag. Honestly, I was bummed. I rocked it - for me. But it really does depend on who your competition is. I have placed before - with a time 8 minutes slower. So really it was a huge win for me.
**** UPDATE: I totally got shafted of winning my dog-tag. Their times were all screwy (2 weeks later and they are still fixing issues) and I ended up with a 2nd place finish. Dang, I wish my girls could have seen me awarded with that place. :( Oh well. I got second and that's pretty awesome.
All done and feeling good and rocking our shirts.
Another awesome experience at the BC Tri.
(The results are all wonky . . . still. The times they have posted for me are not quite accurate. They still, as of today which is October 26th, didn't have all my times/splits listed - so I sent another email. . . Supposedly they updated it, but my run-time was off. Which is a bit frustrating. So I am posting my results, from my Garmin: Swim - 11:37, T1 - 1:53, Bike - 46:48, T2 - 0:49:22, Run - 24:50. I will post Ben's results (he didn't do it on his watch and so this is just from the results page online: Swim - 10:59, T1 - 1:37, Bike - 42:10, T2 - 0:49, Run - 25:29.) (Ha, I just, like right now, got another email - because I had questioned it . . . It's corrected and their times are now similar to what I had recorded.)



1 comment:
Way to go (half of the) Maxwells! Congrats on a race well run. Dude, I would totally reach out to the race organizer to get the dog tag. It's the least they could do.
Post a Comment