2014

2014

Sunday, December 11, 2022

Thanksgiving in Midway

The last time we did Thanksgiving in Midway was way back in 2011 - 11 years ago! Seeing as Miles is up in Rexburg this year, we thought it would be perfect to meet about half-way at my parents' place. It was great! It was so great to see Miles and be with my parents and just enjoy the beautiful area that Midway is in.

All of us (including Miles) were able to leave on Tuesday afternoon. Miles beat us by a couple of hours, but we all arrived safely.

My parents had made reservations for us on Wednesday morning for a fun breakfast at the Blue Boar. It's this really amazing Inn close to my parents' place. It was a really delightful and delicious place to eat. We also enjoyed walking around looking at all their stuff and getting a peek at one of the rooms. 

Emmy had fun driving Grandpa's "toy" around later that day. :) The kids, minus Jonas, went thrift-shopping with Grandma and scored a few items. We spent the rest of the day getting a few things ready for the next day's feast.

Earlier, I had signed six of us up for Midway's Turkey Trot. The six people excluded Jonas (who couldn't be talked into it), but included Grandma. Go Grandma! She and Lucy walked it together. Ben took out in the front and had a great run - coming in 23 minutes and some. I eventually caught up with Emmy and motivated her to keep pushing it. We came in close to 24:30 - Emmy ahead of me by just a couple of seconds. She wasn't too happy about that. I was. Haha. Miles, who hadn't run 3 miles in like years, finished around 30 minutes. He was just glad that he had run the whole time. :) Lucy and my mom enjoyed themselves and weren't as cold as my mom was fearing.

A pre-race selfie!

An after-race pic!

Run, Miles, run!

Yay Lucy and Grandma!

Unfortunately we missed out on the food (ran out, I guess) and not a one of us won a raffle prize. Oh well, it was still a great and beautiful way to start out the day. We then spent the rest of the day watching the parade and getting things ready for the feast. I am pretty sure the kids went on a ride on Grandpa's toy and had a lot of fun. 

I didn't get a picture of us sitting down for our Thanksgiving dinner. But it was perfect, truly. All the best of Thanksgiving foods and it all tasted perfect. I (or rather my mom who actually made it) introduced my kids to shrimp cocktail. I think the opinion was evenly split: the boys liked it, the girls didn't. I don't know why, but Ben had brought it up as we were driving up on Tuesday. So I mentioned it to my mom. Who incredibly had like everything on hand. So she whipped it up and it tasted just as I remembered. I don't know where the drink came from - my Grandma Phyllis? As I told my kids, it's a drink you chew. Ha, doesn't that sound appetizing!? Well it was. :)

That evening we went to the movie theater in Heber and watched Spirited. It was a fun and cute show. We came back home and enjoyed some delicious pie and that was our lovely Thanksgiving.

We had fun playing the games in the basement - foosball (mainly just Ben and whomever he could talk into playing against him), shuffleboard, and lots of air hockey. I think my parents won a few games even! Let's also make sure to mention that not only did I win every air hockey game I played (which, honestly wasn't a ton), I creamed my opponents. Apparently grandma was quite tough to beat . . . I think we need a match. :) We also played corn-hole, which turned out to be super fun and everyone enjoyed:


I don't know why Miles played with a wig on the whole time. But I enjoyed that he did, ha. 


Ben really wanted to go check out some shoes, so we made a trip down to the Provo/Orem area on Friday. We dropped the kids off at Nickle City (used to be Nickcade) and they all had a blast and just loved it! I dropped Ben off at the mall and he 1. didn't find any shoes and 2. hated the mall experience in Utah country on Black Friday. Haha. I could have guessed that . . . I went to a thrift store which turned out to be pretty awesome. I got myself a skirt and sweater and also found a cute dress for Emmy. 

I had purchased (thru a black Friday deal) our family tickets for this place in Lindon called Labyrinth. So down the canyon we went on Saturday. Labyrinth is kind of like escape rooms - but a little different, I guess. There were 16 starting rooms - then if you passed the first room, you'd advance to another room, etc. Each 16 rooms had three more rooms/levels. 

Wow, it was hard. Wow, we felt stupid. Ha. The first rooms we literally had no idea what we were doing. We'd walk in. Stare at the room. Wonder, "What the heck." Then we'd make some sort of move. Finally, we'd hear, "You have been eliminated. Please exit." There were basically no clues on what to do or even what the goal was. It was crazy. But we slowly started figuring things out . . . and even made it passed a room or two. We never completed all four rooms! We were sooooo very close on 2 of the puzzles - but just couldn't figure out the last rooms in each of them. Soooo frustrating. But it was really great and the kids really enjoyed it. It was something totally different, but a perfect activity for teens and adults.
Haha, a random picture from one of the rooms . . . 

Miles just sent me a few videos. They are super short, but it does give you a little idea of what the rooms were like. Some were more mental than physical, others more physical than mental, and others half-and-half.




On Sunday we enjoyed church and then came home, cleaned up (Ben made sure the kids all had cleaning assignments . . . ), and ate a yummy lunch and finished it up with Miles' homemade apple pie. Then it was time for us to go sadly. We left first and then Miles headed out shortly after. It was a nice time and so good to be with Miles and my parents, as always!

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

This looks perfect. I'm totally laughing at the escape room. Chuck is VERY good at them. :) And that wig!!! hahaha.