Well this is a late birthday letter Lucy! We've just been a wee bit busy this past week..... We had Blythe Hardy (aka Sister Hardy, aka Best Sister Missionary Ever) stay with us this past weekend and that was wonderful. Along with her, my parents also made it over for Saturday night thru Sunday evening - lucky us! Miles had his "farewell" sacrament meeting, we went school shopping all day Monday, Miles flew out (sniff, sniff) to the MTC Tuesday, and now - today - it's not only the day you become a TEENAGER, it's also yours and Emmy's first day of school. Yes, busy, busy. But a good busy (except school shopping - I am not a fan of taking you girls shopping . . . haha).
Another year has come and gone. You finished up your middle year of middle school. I think it was a good year for you. You were pushed in your accelerated math class and that was a good thing. You still liked school and *most* of your teachers. . . You rode your bike most days with your good friend and neighbor, Genevieve, and so that was pretty fun.
You continue to have a lot of friends from a lot of different groups - school, church, and gym. You are always wanting to hang out with someone - literally always. You organize a lot of the getting together with friends - whether it's going to paddle board at Taviwach or just hang out at our house. Turns out, our house is pretty great to hang out at. Well, maybe not necessarily our home, but our location. When friends come over, you gals walk to the thrift shops, Crash Burger, shaved ice trolley, playgrounds, downtown shopping, the movie theater, and more. It's pretty great really. Too bad we also have to do deal with drug busts and overdosed dying neighbors too. Yikes. But our house is truly blessed and I don't fear - too much - for my family.
You tried out for advanced choir this year (your 8th grade year) and made it. Most of your friends are doing it as well and so you are really excited for that! I am glad you're doing it, but I really despise middle-school choir/band concerts to be honest. If I remember correctly, though, choir goes first and then we can leave before the band?! Let's hope so for my sanity, haha. It's a new thing for you and I think it will be a lot of fun doing something new. We wanted you to do track, but you extremely and adamantly refused. You are still rocking it at the gym . . . you got a back handspring on the beam and so that's been an impressive skill to obtain!
You got a special week in Yellowstone with just one sibling, Miles. Jonas is away in South Carolina at boot camp and Emmy had cross-country camp that week. So that was kind of special . . . you and Miles are of course the farthest apart of siblings and so it was nice for you two to have some time together. Especially right before Miles leaves for two years on his mission. It might have felt really different not having Emmy around you, but also a nice break for you, too! Seeing as you are still the best of frenemies. . . .
I wish I could say another year of getting older has helped you with your impatience problem. It hasn't. In fact, it seems to be getting worse - or I am just getting more impatient with your impatience. Haha. You're a great girl and I know you'll continue to work on this and get better with it. (Crossing all my fingers and all my toes.)
It's hard being the youngest. People often think being the youngest is the best. And in some ways, it is. But it's also really tough. You're just younger than your siblings and, frankly, you act younger - which you should because, duh, you're younger. But for older teens . . . it's more of an annoyance. But now that you're also a TEEN, maybe you'll be less annoying to siblings! :) When Miles comes back from his mission, you'll be 15! Wowzers, I can't even imagine.
I spent the morning making you a birthday cake. You didn't even want one - you just wanted avocado ice cream. I have been talked about not making birthday cakes anymore - everyone is getting older, no one really likes cake, etc., etc. But then I couldn't NOT do it, haha. I guess I am not quite ready to have all my kids be grown-up. I am glad I still have a youthful Lucy around - who didn't even wanted a cake, but loved the one I made anyways. :)
Love you Lucy and are glad to have you as the caboose in our family,
mom

No comments:
Post a Comment