Well Jonas' pick for his trip was a couple days of snowboarding at Whister-Blackcomb. We had thought of this because 1. Jonas loves to snowboard and 2. This resort is part of the EPIC ski pass and 3. The military rate for the EPIC is $165!!! Which is insane considering that the resorts on this deal each cost at least $200 for a DAY pass. So to get a season's pass to all those resorts is just plain crazy.
So Ben, Jonas, and myself woke up early Wednesday morning and drove straight to the Denver airport. We flew out of Denver at about noon, had a layover in Seattle (that turned out a bit longer due to a delay on our next flights) and we arrived in Vancouver, BC at about 5:30. We got our luggage (we got free luggage for all our gear and bags due to the military - yep, some perks!) and then got our rental car. The funny thing at the airport in Vancouver was the wild rabbits that were in the parking garage begging for food. Hilarious.
We got our car and began the 2-hour drive to Whistler. We stopped about half-way in a town called Squamish. We got some dinner and loaded up on a few groceries. Then we continued on the Sea to Sky highway - unfortunately, due to it being dark, we didn't get to enjoy the amazing scenery (spoiler alert: we do on the way back!). We found our Airbnb in Whistler and got all settled in for the night.
Thursday morning I drove the boys down to the gondola pick-up area - about a 1-minute drive. :) The boys had an amazing day and just loved the terrain of the mountain. The best they've ever experienced. Even though it hasn't been a great snow year for them, it was still so good. While they were out and about, I drove about 25 minutes to Whistler Olympic Park. I enjoyed miles and miles of cross-country skiing. The trails were gorgeous and so fun. It was perfect. That late afternoon I picked the boys up (they totally could have walked we were that close . . . ) and I think Ben and I drove around the town for fun. We cooked up some dinner at our place and then Jonas headed out to the rec center to do some weights. Haha. Ben and I had checked it out on our tour of the town and thought it looked decent. Jonas said a ton of people were there.
Friday was basically a repeat. But the boys did journey over to Blackcomb mountain - taking the 2.7 miles (sometimes 1,400 feet above the ground) gondola. That, in and of itself, was quite an exciting adventure! They loved Blackcomb as well and just had another all-around great time snowboarding. I went back to the olympic park and basically did the same trails as the day before because they were great. I checked out a few small little trails at the end. I ended up skiing about 25 miles in those two days. It was exhausting.
That evening Ben and I went and walked around the Whistler village shops and each got a shirt. Jonas had bought one earlier in the day at a place somewhere on the mountain. We went back and got Jonas and ate out back at Whistler villiage. It was good! We walked around the village - which is just huge and impressive! And that was pretty much the trip!
We left Saturday morning a little before 8 and loved the gorgeous drive to Vancouver along the Sea to Sky highway. It was just incredible and pictures just don't do it justice. The ocean on one side and mountainous cliffs on the other - amazing. All went well with our flights and we made it back to Denver that evening and then drove to Joe and Britt's home for a nice dinner and evening visit. Jim and Diana joined us as well and so that was great. We went to church at Joe's ward Sunday morning and then drove back to Montrose.
A great trip and fun to experience it with Jonas.
Here's our cute place at Creekside Village (as opposed to Whistler Village).

So pretty!
And here are pictures I took from my adventures:



















No comments:
Post a Comment