2014

2014

Sunday, April 21, 2024

Elder Maxwell Update

Well it's probably time for a little update on Miles. Even though not much has changed with him . . . Miles has been through 3 transfers in Mexico (I think) and has stayed at the same place each time! I for- sure thought he'd go somewhere else this last transfer, but nope! Which is fine with Miles; he really likes where he is. Plus, there was this big festival thing coming into Aguascalientes and he really wanted to stay in the area for that. :) He got a new companion this past transfer - I guess he is like 27 or something and so that's a bit different, but also cool. Miles seems to like him and is just always happy when we talk with him on Mondays. 

Here are the two emails we have gotten since the last time I posted an update: 

Hola people, it's been another six weeks, and I've decided it's time again to remind you of my existence. I'm still living here in Aguascalientes, and haven't changed areas. The only thing that did change was my last companion, who died. For some reason missionaries say that when someone finishes their time and go back home. One thing missionaries have when they're about to finish their mission is something called "My plan." It's basically where you have to plan out the rest of your life, which includes school plans, job plans, scripture study plans, and plans for how to talk to girls (I guess there's too many missionaries that don't know how). So it was interesting to see my comp planning all that. Made me glad that I have a lot of time left living here,and that I don't have to worry about it. The only thing I do have to worry about is the food. Now if you ever heard a returned missionary tell stories, they've probably talked about how, either the food was incredibly weird, or they didn't have any and starved. Well I've got the exact opposite problem. So we get most of our food from the members, as they offer to make it for us. And since we have a lot of people in this area, we get food every single day. And they dont just give us a little, oh no, they give us the largest plate they possibly can of about three servings, and then expect us to eat two more. And if we don't eat it they get very offended and think we hate their cooking (even when you're sick and try explaining to them that you can't eat anything right now). So my problem isn't that we don't have food, it's that we have too much. So I actually gave up trying to eat all a few weeks ago, so now I just tell people no. I couldn't do it anymore :( Anyway, other than the food life is great. I'm feeling a lot more like a missionary now and I'm getting used to the life. I think one of the best things that happened during these past few weeks was me met an aweome woman who was having struggling with depression and other stuff. But as we started teaching her to pray and to read her scriptures we were able to see mighty change. She began to be a lot happier and eventually made her first promise with God and got baptized! It's crazy to see her now because she's changed so much, thanks to the gosple of Jesus Christ! It was a wonderful experience for me, because it's the first time I've ever been able to see first hand the power of the Lord. Christ really can change us and help us! He stands knocking at the door, all we gotta do it let him in! But yeah, I loving being here, Mexico is awesome, the food is amazing, and the people are super nice! Glad for my opportunity to serve! (Also ice cream here costs about 1$ for two scoops. Haha, imagine having to pay 8 bucks you U.S. people. México es mejor.)

That one was sent on March 11th.

My mom told me I had to send more emails, so I'm doing this one. Actually, that's a lie, I'm sending this one because we had a short transfer. Usually there six weeks in a transfer but for some reason this one was only five. But other that it was pretty odd for me, because I was a trio, or group of three missionaries, instead of the normal two. That was kinda weird, but also fun. Not too much else crazy happened. There's a lot of cool people here and we walked a lot and talked a lot and ate a lot food, and i forgot english, average missionary stuff. We got new transfers just under a week ago, and much to everyone's surprise, I'm staying here! Both of my comps left, which doesn't usually happen, but I'm rather happy because I like being here. Anyway, sorry I don't have too much to say this time, here a bunch of random pics of the tranfer. I'll let yall guess what they are.

And that one was sent out on April 15th.

Here are the random pictures he sends me, most of which I don't know who's in it or what is going on, haha:
They have delicious frozen yogurt there per Miles - you pick your fruit and then it is mixed in a machine with the frozen yogurt. YUM.







They befriended a stray dog - he visits them often. :) Even though it looks like the pup does have an owner since he has a leash.


Miles had fun with the Eclipse!




Interesting modern row-houses in Mexico?!




No comments: