We've had a nice couple of days enjoying the holiday, food, and weather! I was supposed to work Tuesday and Wednesday nights but got called off on both of them! Which was nice, really. But next year I think I'll ask them not to schedule me as they have called me off the past two years (last year I worked one night and then got called off), but we haven't been able to make plans to go anywhere because I'm on the schedule.
Anyways, Thanksgiving was a good day. I ran the local Turkey Trot (4.2 miles) with my good friend Sarah Bugarin. We saw quite a few people that we knew. It was nice. The kids enjoyed watching the parade and the dog show afterwards, we cooked up food, played some Kubb, ate, watched a movie, ate pie, read Caddie Woodlawn for 75 minutes(our book club book), etc.
Team Brigham v. Team Wilson. Once again, Team Wilson lost! :)
Go, go Emmy!
This team won our last round of Kubb!
Turkey-time!
Yum, yum.
The kids all helped make stuff. Ben - turkey and stuffing. Me - rolls, green bean casserole. Miles - lemon meringue pie. Jonas - Black-bottom sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie. Emmy - Yam Casserole. Lucy - cranberry salad, and helped with the rolls. It was all delicious - except for my rolls! We had no pans left and so I had to over-stuff a foil pan and my rolls had no room to rise and cook. Doughy. Ugh. But I redeemed myself today and made delicious rolls for leftover turkey sandwiches. Yay!
So today, Friday, Ben and I got up nice and early and headed to the pool for some exercising. We came home and Ben took the boys to a service project. Afterwards we went on a dandy of a bike ride. I dropped the boys off at the Lower Spring Creek Trail. The girls and I headed down and parked at Buzzard Gulch. We then rode on the ATV road that meets up with the trail - where we eventually met the boys and then turned around and came back. It was like 60-degrees and sunny - it felt like summer!
Miles got to ride my bike - lucky duck. Jonas will be getting a mountain bike for his birthday. Total lucky duck.
The stream crossing!
Apparently Jonas was super nervous about crossing the stream. "How deep is it dad?" "Uh, like 1 inch over that rock, maybe 3 inches over that rock . . ." What a silly boy. He finally did it after much coaxing.
Ben and I have done this trail quite a few times - it's super fun and really pretty!
Fun, fun.
Emmy really enjoyed our part of the ride, too. Sometime maybe she can do the "bigger" stuff. Lucy is a little ways off until she's close to doing the "bigger" stuff. :)
In the afternoon I hosted our kids' book club. We finished the book, Caddie Woodlawn, on our way up to our bike ride just hours before. :) It was an awesome book - I think I probably loved it more than the kids, but the kids really enjoyed it too. A neat part in the book was where the main character used her silver-dollar to buy toys, treats, combs, and handkerchiefs for some poor "half-breed" children whose mother left them to travel west with the rest of the Indians. So I got $18 worth of "silver dollar" coins from the bank and handed them out to the kids. We were going to use that money to buy a gift for a little girl in need for Christmas (I picked up an "Angel" - a child in Montrose with needed/wanted items for Christmas . . .). So we all walked down to Fabula (a local and awesome downtown shop) and the kids pooled their silver dollars together to buy two small gifts for our child in need.
Then it was leftovers for dinner - including the before-mentioned turkey sandwiches. Which are the best reason to cook a turkey! YUM.











2 comments:
Your Thanksgiving dinner looked really good, and the trail ride must have been fun! The temperatures have been unbelievable, haven't they? Looking forward to seeing all of you in a few weeks.
Hooray for Thanksgiving! It really is one of the best holidays. That bike ride looks amazing. Ollie would have been ALL over it. :)
Post a Comment