2014

2014

Monday, August 27, 2018

Dear Emmy,

Happy 11th birthday beautiful!  The past year has been quite a year . . . a year of your first gymnastics competition, a year of drama, a year of school, a year of hiking and backpacking and skiing, a year of more - then less - crushes, a year of baking, etc.!

You competed in one Level 3 gym meet and then went on to the State Meet.  You did very well and it was a total delight (although I admit I could not watch you on the beam!) to see you out there doing so well.  You did get very, very nervous - but I think most gymnasts do!  Your maternal grandparents got to watch your first competition and your paternal grandparents got to see your State one.  How special and fun!  You will now be competing in Level 4 . . . but you are still struggling with one skill:  the dreaded kip.  You had it for two days, then lost it again.  You'll get it back again, I know.  Just keep working hard at it and you'll get it!  You went on your second BYU Gymnastics Camp and just loved it!  Girls, gymnastics, and popsicle breaks - what could be more fun than that?!

You dealt with A LOT of drama this past year at school.  You and a certain girl just don't mesh very well.  She has many, many issues and you have a couple yourself.  :)  While I think you were most often not the instigator of a lot of the drama that went on, I'm also wasn't blind and saw that sometimes you were and that other times you maybe didn't start it, but you fueled it along!  You just flock to the higher-maintenance friends at school, even though I encourage you to find some other friends!  They aren't bad girls, just full-of-drama girls!  But I also see that they are lively, active, and fun girls - which is what you are, too.  So I get why you like them.  But I hope this year we (YOU) see less in the drama-department at school.

I've already mentioned the drama bit of school, but you really did have a great year anyways.  Mr. Scott was your teacher and even though it was frustrating to have a lot of behavior-issue kids in your class and thus you lost a lot of classroom privileges, you somehow still enjoyed Mr. Scott very much and liked going to school!  You had to endure 3rd/4th grade classes this year . . . which wasn't ideal at all.  But thankfully this year it will just be you and the rest of the 5th graders - you are excited about that.

Dad and I like to get out of doors and make you kids suffer a bit.  :)  We took you on our first 14er as a family.  You did stellar and was the first to summit in our family.  You are usually a great hiker (unless you have a UTI and we don't know yet . . .)!  You kind-of hate and kind-of like hiking.  We also did a big backpacking trip - 25+ miles.  You did amazing.  We got some ski trips in, too, and that you love.  You are a good skier with really good form.  You'll probably go beyond my skill level this year!

You liked making a list of all your crushes - once I think it got close to 30?!  But recently you have narrowed down that list to four young men (although you think a lot of other boys are "cute").  They are pretty good boys you've chosen and so hopefully you'll continue to make wise choices in regards to boys . . . Oh, that reminds me!  You had a boyfriend or something (whatever that means in 4th grade) this past year.  I can't even remember his name.  You didn't really "like" him.  I guess he broke up with you after you told him you had a crush on Reggie.  Ha.

You got a baking kit for Christmas this year - you were sent three recipes each month (for three months, that's all we can afford!), with little cooking tools, too.  You cooked up some delicious food.  Two of the favorites were the homemade ramen noodle soup with tofu and chocolate lava cake.  I've never had lava cake before, but now we've had it quite a few times.  It's delicious!  You really love baking sweet treats . . . no surprise there!

Speaking of food: in some ways you are picky, in other ways, not at all!  You don't like most of the dinners I make which makes you seem picky.  Yet, on the other hand, you'll eat canned fish, tilapia, sardines, most every kind of vegetable, kalua pork, chicken pastrami casserole, porcupine meatballs, fish eyeballs (so gross!), and more.  You're a one-of-a-kind eater.

In fact, you are a one-of-a-kind girl and I love being a part of your life.

love,
mom


No comments: