So Miles is the first one of the kids to start the new school year. He began with starting seminary on Thursday, August 23rd. Ben and I both rode our bikes with him - Ben part way until he turned off to head towards work, and me all the way. In fact, I was going on a ride for my exercise and so I dropped him off, rode my bike, and then picked him up on my way home. :) Miles seemed to like it and mentioned how he knows almost all of the kids (21 of them) in his class.
Seminary goes from 6:45-7:45. He has to leave here on his bike by 6:25. So he gets up a little before 6. So, while not as early as some, it's definitely early for him.
Heading out in the morning . . . a rainy morning at that!
Miles is also doing a couple of classes at the high school. He's doing most of his classes through BYU's Independent Study high school, but I wanted him to do a little bit at the public school as well. Today was the first official day of classes. The high school has "red" and "white" days. On "red" days Miles has a class called Project Unify. The class pairs up/teams up special ed. students with mainstream kids (for lack of better term!) and they work on things together - like making muffins and selling them, going on field trips, etc. I hope it's a great class! On white days, he has an art class.
Both classes go from 2:05-3:40 (except for Wednesdays - short days). He went on Thursday just to get his photo taken and school ID. He had an interesting observation: does the high school have a dress code? He mentioned how many of the girls had very short shirts on (his middle school principal was very good and actually did enforce the dress code). He then commented/wondered why girls can get away with that, yet he can't wear a hat in school. (He had on some farmer-like straw hat and was asked almost immediately upon entering the school to take it off. Which he and I knew would happen - no biggie. But I wonder how many girls were asked to change their shirts. I would guess none. Anyways . . . )
We'll see how his first day goes! (It went well - he's on the "baking muffin committee" :) )
And let's just add a random shot of Miles at Lucy's baptism, taken by his brother Jonas:


1 comment:
High School! ACK! Question: what kind of work did it take to get him enrolled for only two classes? Do you have to have home school reviews? How much work is this for YOU?
Post a Comment