2014

2014

Saturday, March 09, 2019

Happy 15th Birthday Miles

Image result for boy bad hair day
(This isn't you, of course. I don't have access to any recent picture of you at the moment.  But I'm pretty sure this is a pretty good picture of your current hair-goal).

Wow, Miles - 15.  That's a pretty big number.  While 16 is big in terms of driving, 15 isn't too shabby.  You just finished up your 30-hour driver's ed. course online (which you really liked!).  If all goes as planned (which I'm not planning on it to), you'll take your written test on Monday (the 11th) and officially be allowed to drive with supervision.  Scary!  I mean, I'm excited for you.  I am excited to let you drive in the parking lot of the church.  But I'm pretty much scared for anything and everything beyond that.  :)

Your education took a big change this past year as we all decided to give BYU's online high school courses a try for you.  I think you like it!  You've done well - it's a big change from public to homeschool/online.  You are responsible for a lot more and with that comes some great learning and organization, as well as some great failures (ahem, English class . . .).  In fact, you are still working on finishing up your 1st semester English class.  Summer school - 2nd semester English!  But you've done really well with all your other courses and so that's been a real positive.

You've begun your seminary education as well.  You love it.  You tell us that all the time.  You have a great teacher, Sister Evensen.  She does a great job with teaching and making it fun at the same time.  You leave each morning at 6:30 and ride your bike to the church (2 miles away).  Freezing temps and snow - you ride. 

You have a couple of classes at the high school - Project Unify, art (first semester) and mythology (second semester).  I've mentioned them before, so I won't have to go in to much detail now.  But you enjoy those classes a lot.

Your hair has gotten quite out of control.  We might be using some car-driving leverage with your hair . . . I like long hair - as long as it is well-groomed and such.  You shower at night, wear a bike helmet multiple times a day, etc.  Your hair doesn't look so great.  We have found a great gal to cut your hair - I'm being generous when I write "cut."  The craziest part of your hair is right above your earlobes - the hair is so curly there!  Ring-lock curls even.

You continue to mature in good ways.  You're far from perfect (as we all are, of course) and continue to annoy us - but you're a pretty great kid, especially to those not in your immediate family (meaning your siblings, for the most part).  :)  You show a lot of thought and kindness to your friends and strangers.  One example is when we went skiing for Jonas' birthday.  Your best-friend Michael came and it was like his second-time ever skiing.  You just stayed and skied with him the whole day - without complaining.  Your Sunday school teacher often remarks that you and Jonas are some of the only well-behaved and good-answering boys in the class.  (Which is interesting seeing as how your comments in our family gospel study-time is less than impressive . . .).

You tried a new sport this year - mountain biking.  You did great. I mean, you're not naturally athletically inclined, but man you can go and go and go without getting tired.  Maybe not the fastest go, but you have some amazing endurance. You improved a lot with your mountain biking skills and I can not keep up with you anymore - you can go up ahead with dad, I'll hang back with Jonas.  :)

Vanilla Tootsie Roll Midgees  
I think you like me.  I mean, if saving your blue, vanilla tootsie rolls for me means anything . . . (Thank you, I do love them so and you know that!)

You think you want to become a surgeon.  I don't know why exactly . . . unless it's due to the money?  I should ask you.  :)  I still think you should become a vet . . . sometimes I feel you have more empathy for animals than humans!

You're turning in to a neat mini-man and I'm excited to see all that you accomplish and become this year.

Love you,
mom