2014

2014

Saturday, April 06, 2019

Just Add Magic

It was our turn for book club and we (we, meaning me) chose the book Just Add Magic. I read about it online and saw it had a fun series on Amazon, so I thought we'd give it a try (the plot sounded perfect, too - a few friends, a magic cookbook, hexes, crushes, etc.).

It was a fun read and lent to a great book club!

Here are some pictures of the evening:
 We started out by having the girls tell each other's fortunes. One girl would hold her candle and let the wax drop into a bowl of cold water. The "fortune teller" would look at the wax and tell the girl's fortune. :)

 Emmy was a weird fortune teller . . .

 Lucy thought she was pretty funny. . .

 After that, we made some chili for the "Annual Alfred Nobel chili cook-off." (All ideas came from the book, of course.) By this time, Holly (in yellow) was suffering from burning-of-the-lips from chopping jalapenos and then touching her lips - the rest of the girls were crying due to chopping onions.  It was great fun.  :)  Actually, it was totally chaotic and super messy!  But the girls enjoyed it.

We walked down to our local Mexicn Meat Market - Carniceria Sonora (in the book it was called La Cocina). It was fun looking at the weird food (cactus anyone? plus a whole lot of "I have no idea what that is and can't read what it is either . . . ").

 The girls picked out some food and snacked on the bench outside. Jillian (in the light green shirt) had to leave early for volleyball, so her mom met us here and took Jillian.

We walked back home and tried the two chilis. There was definitely a favorite . . . So we ate chili and cornbread. The girls did more wax fortune-telling (including to Jonas), etc.

Then they got to go and watch a few episodes of Just Add Magic. Apparently it's pretty good - my boys even really liked it.  :)

 Of course I had to make them each a "Swirley." Those were eaten all the time in the book!  (Oh, the book has recipes at the end of it. We used those for the two chilis we made and the Swirley's.) This was some Rocket Launcher Rainbow Swirley and consisted of strawberry ice cream blended up with skittles, next layer of banana ice cream drizzled with caramel, then topped with pistachio ice cream. Earlier I dipped the cups in melted white-chocolate chips and nerds.  I think they all approved.  :)

The kids also did "M.A.S.H." to each other. They thought it was quite funny - and it was.  :)

 What a fun book and book club night!  (We had a "late over" as the girls were there until about 9 - that's late for us!)

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

I love that you do this. Please tell me that your boys would NOT have been into this. I have to make myself feel better for not.