2014

2014

Thursday, November 21, 2019

Another . . . Update

Man, I haven't been posting much lately. But that's because all that's been going on around here is: work, school, extracurriculars, and house-painting. Oh, and watching season 1 of The Middle with our kids - who LOVE it as much as Ben and I do.

Ben has been busy with work, his calling, taking call at the hospital, and whatever time is left he has spent it on painting. It's been quite the project. It's 98% finished. Ben and his co-worker and co-worker's son did a lot of work this past Saturday. Then his co-worker decided he wanted to come and finish up on Sunday, so he did. So what is left are mainly windows - the back and side-windows need the inner-trim painted, plus we have storm-windows that need the trim painted. But the main stuff is all done. Ben created a project "Rise Up O Men of God" for the boys in our ward to work on and it is now over and so now he is working on the end-of-program dinner event that will be next Tuesday evening.

It looks amazing!
Our lovely entry-way.


Randy finished the window-well for the boys' basement window - yay! Now to start working on their room . . . who knows when we'll actually do it!?

Miles is doing well with his BYU classes. He has gotten a little bit behind in english, but not as bad as last year. So no Saturday screen-time for him until he's caught up. He's getting As in all his classes - english, literature, chemisty, algebra 2, and some fitness class. He likes his mythology class at the high school, as well as Project Unify. He is going on field trip with that class to Denver this weekend - as long as the storm doesn't stop them. He has been attending the high school's open wall for climbing these past few weeks. Try-outs for the team was this past Monday and Tuesday. Miles made it as an alternate - yay. He was excited. As an alternate, he is not guaranteed to compete in some of the meets. I guess there are number-limits due to the bus. But if there is room or we can get him there, he can compete. Or so I am told. So he'll continue to work-out on climbing on Mondays-Thursdays from 4-5:30. He really likes it. He received his patriarchal blessing on Saturday, the 9th. He was able to receive if from his Grandpa Jim Maxwell, as Jim is a stake patriarch and is allowed to give close-relatives their blessings. It was very neat and very special. Miles has already reviewed it. I need to. On our way to Denver, Miles drove for about an hour or so. On a 2-lane highway, with a 65 MPH speed limit. I was slightly sick during those 60 minutes, even though he did just fine.

Jonas is doing okay, except for being such a mean grump at our home. Other than that, we like him! Ha. He's doing fine at school - I think mostly all As and some Bs. He tried out for some Honors Jazz Band and he's hoping he gets in. If he does, he'll go up to Junction sometime next year for a 2-day event. He went last year and had a blast. One of the requirements in the Rise Up O Men of God program was to catch and gut a fish. The boys had tried many, many times but were unsuccessful (although Miles did gut someone else's caught fish)! So it was the last week and Ben had already taken them a couple of times, with no luck. So Friday evening, I drove them out to Ridgway and we crossed our fingers . . .
Yay, success for at least Jonas! :) Jonas was happy, Miles less so.  Jonas is obsessed with cars and it's practically all he talks about. Other than that, there isn't much to report on Jonas . . .

Emmy is doing really well at middle school - both academically and socially. She loves her classes, friends, and teachers (for the most part). She's in life-skills (i.e., Home-Ec) and is really enjoying that. They sewed pillows, and now are on to food - making smoothies, pasta, etc. She loves P.E. She likes writing, but doesn't love writing 1 1/2 pages Monday-Thursday. Math is going well for her. She likes science and the teacher (her teacher-crush) a whole lot. She has really rocked riding her bike to school. I was worried about her, but she did it when we had a couple single-digit days, so I think she'll be good! It really is a delight to get out in the fresh, early morning. I still ride my bike with her to school and then she and Jonas ride home together. She still loves gymnastics.

Lucy is still excited about school, friends, gymnastics, and playing. And she does them all pretty well. :) Her grade has been working on a STEM project that involved sending up a lego astronaut (female, of course) up in to "space." Our neighbor and good friend Russell headed it up. They had been working on it for a couple of months (each Friday) and then were going to send up the balloon on a Friday morning - the same Friday morning of the Veteran's assembly. Lucy chose the assembly . . . but as luck would have it, the balloon was delayed and didn't go up until Lucy was back at school. So she got to do both - attend the assembly and watch the balloon take flight. :)

Here is a video that Russell put together. Watch it all - it's cool! Plus, Lucy has a cameo at the end. :) (The girl at first is Russell's daughter and Lucy's good friend, Genevieve.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r52j91aWZSU&fbclid=IwAR2SC7dv-bRQDVuxA5kBzE-7zd0y52xvp66oAI_-IMg_MiYAMXX8SzX84xo&app=desktop

Oh, and me. I am kind of done with this update . . . But I'll try and be concise (I just finished and, sorry, but I wasn't too concise). I have been working two jobs - one at the hospital and my new one at the cancer center. The cancer center is just Mondays. So 2-3 weeks of each month, I have been working Monday day at the cancer center and then going in Monday nights at the hospital. Barf. It's mentally worse than anything, really. But, the other RN at the cancer center who works the rest of the week, doesn't want to work 4 days a week anymore. So, if all goes well, it looks like I will be able to work Mondays and Tuesdays at the cancer center, and quit working at the hospital. I will stay on as a PRN ("as needed") position at the JRC (which I am currently, but am ironically a scheduled PRN employee). I most likely won't work there much at all - but wouldn't mind picking up one shift a month. Anyways, I am sad at leaving the JRC as I really love the staff there, but I am so glad to have a day-shift job! It's so nice - I just ride my bike with the girls to school, first dropping off Lucy and then Emmy. Then I ride about 4 blocks down the street from the middle school and am at work. The timing is almost perfect. I am not always done in time to get Lucy, but with Miles and neighbors, it should work out okay. I have been super blessed! I always said if I were to go back to work, I would only want to work at the JRC or the cancer center. Lucky me, indeed. Last thing: my new bike is so fantastic!

This is what it looks like (though this isn't a picture of my actual bike). So cute, right?! Okay, so I don't think my sister was as in love with it as I am (which is totally fine - different people and different styles :) )! But I truly love it and it makes me happy riding it everyday. I think I want to name it "Little Miss Sunshine." :)

Okay, enough!

1 comment:

erinmalia said...

hahaha. you're right! But it is soooo you, so that's good. Sounds like everyone is doing alright. Happy Thanksgiving in three days!